A different king of Martin Luther King, Jr. quote

Yes, we’re seeing symptoms of a systemic disease --and much like our bodies when
faced with an overwhelming insult, the normal response mechanisms may be
inadequate. It’s a cry for help. The patient cannot self-cure and is blamed for being ill.

If people not mired in the dysfunction do not see, hear and help, then who?

We have been having this discussion. For a long time.

I outlined why rioting isn’t going to help. Did it help LA after the Rodney King riots or are we seeing the same thing today, more or less? Awareness is one thing. Lawlessness though just re-affirms in some peoples’ minds that the cops are needed and even some even think the ends justify the means.

And again, I have to point out the rational behind it doesn’t jive. It seems that community is plagued not only with violence from cops, but with even more violence from a segment of their own community. I know, it is two separate issues, but they are related. You can’t blame the cops for all your problems.

I’ve been fairly outspoken on the over reach cops have gained, mainly through laws passed for the WoD - all with little over sight. Their abuse goes from the physical kind, to violation of civil rights, to seizure of property. It needs to change. They shouldn’t be above the law, and agencies that have a history of a system of abuse needs to be knocked to the ground and rebuilt.

What happens when justice removes tension?

I wonder why he softened his public rhetoric while sitting in a jail cell?

Every single adult in the U.S. knows exactly what you are referring to. People still use catch phrases from that situation (for example: why can’t we all just get along?). So, yeah, it definitely set a permanent placeholder in the map of our civic life. It’s unfortunate that occasionally it takes riots in the streets before the message is heard, but humans are stubborn creatures.

3 Likes

You say “people” like you’re referring to all people, but you’re not.

There are white people on Boing Boing talking about the protests now and supporting them. There are white writers on Salon and Slate and whatever your liberal rag is, talking about the protests and supporting them. There are talking heads on the TV and politicians who are saying “well, we disapprove of the rioting of course, but there are some legitimate grievances that are being aired.”

All those people are people who wouldn’t necessarily be talking about race today and the killing of yet another black man if it hadn’t been for all the protests. All those people are people who would be talking about something else if the response to Eric Garner’s death was just yet another sermon by Al Sharpton. And all those people are people who are pushing for change to happen in police departments and court rooms across the country to try and change the systemic unbalance in this country.

Have you considered that fact that those other people who watch the riots and think “just black people causing trouble again” weren’t ever going to help black people anyway?

4 Likes

While there are certainly people like that, there are certainly people who are neutral on the issue. Those are the ones who you have the potential to win to your side.

We know what it was about - but it doesn’t seem to have CHANGED much of anything. Awareness and fixing the problem are two different things.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.