A DIY builder shows us how he made this cute elevator for his even cuter, old cat

Originally published at: A DIY builder shows us how he made this cute elevator for his even cuter, old cat | Boing Boing

13 Likes

One thing, Frodo’s tail looks to be an issue hanging over the edge of the cart, possibly a very small tweak, and it’s all good. Bless his maker pointy head.

16 Likes

arklez1

20 Likes

It’s very cool, but will he always need to be there to operate it? It would be cool if it had a trigger the cat could be trained to use.

But, otherwise, very cool. Love the old kitties.

21 Likes

I was concerned about that as well. I was also hoping it’d automatically go up or down on its own, or have it be triggered to move by the cat itself.

11 Likes

Yes, a weight triggered mechanism under the floor of the carriage, maybe?

11 Likes

Time to break out the Arduino!

9 Likes

@knoxblox @Grey_Devil

Just shot that idea over to my maker Buddy , says the easiest way is a motion sensor rather that a weight oriented system. Motion sensor can activate via Bluetooth or any other wireless apparatus. Says you can likely find a fit on Amazon or facsimile there of. The cart needs deeper side boards to protect the tail.

14 Likes

Season 2 Idea GIF by Portlandia

13 Likes

I like this maker! I hope he wears respiratory protection more often than shown in the videos so he’ll be around for a while. It looked like he was using Melamine for the tracks and cart, which, over here in the US anyway, has formeldahyde in it. No particulates are great to breathe in, but that’s a particularly nasty one.

Not to be a downer. This project and Frodo are both adorable!!!

10 Likes

And… it looks like someone has to help the cat in and out of the cart at the top and bottom of the stairs. Not sure how this is an improvement over just carrying it in a basket?

5 Likes

A video about “I carried my cute old cat up and down the stairs” won’t draw as many views as “look at this under-engineered, rickety tail-trap funicular I built for my old cat!!1!”.

5 Likes

Happy cake day!!

7 Likes

Thank you sir!

Milk is on me!

7 Likes

You might want to rinse it off.

10 Likes

Very on topic :wink:

20 Likes

And the motion sensor instead of sparky weight leaf switch accommodates orthodox meows.

3 Likes

Momma said there’d be posts like these.

7 Likes

It doesn’t take 4 days and multiple electric tools to find a basket, you silly!

5 Likes

As my wife said, we could actually build that and our cat would never be inclined to use it

7 Likes