This machine learning-assisted cat door keeps kitty from bringing furry surprises home

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/01/this-machine-learning-assisted.html

8 Likes

I feel this is the wrong solution to the problem.

9 Likes

But is it on the block chain?

6 Likes

“machine-learning-assisted”

4 Likes

Cat with bird in mouth = do not enter

Cat with mask on face and funny little hands = come on in

15 Likes

Hopefully it doesn’t let a bobcat in.

3 Likes

27 Likes

I hope it’s Wifi enabled! And that I can get text messages from my cat door.

And that the developers will push a patch to it every few hours, and that it will be inoperable while updating.

9 Likes

“Just a second, kitty, the door is rebooting.”

11 Likes

HALdoor

21 Likes

Right? Just don’t let the damn bird killers out in the first place.

13 Likes

Happily none of my cats would bring things in on purpose even dead. Mice and always the back half of a bunny in the middle of the back yard were common enough.

Only once did a live mouse get in (via the cat anway) and that was just pure timing of opening the door to check for the cat and he noticed and trotted into the entry with his catch and then meowed loudly to say ‘look what I got’ and of course was confused as hell as to where his catch ran off to. Took a bit of chasing and coaxing but we got the poor little mouse and let it go back outside.

3 Likes

I still remember the time when I was a kid and the cat released a live bird inside the house. The cat thought it was great, because the bird couldn’t get away. My parents were less thrilled to have a wounded bird flying around and bleeding on everything, and the cat jumping onto the furniture, knocking stuff off while chasing it.

6 Likes

My neighbor, Dan, went out-of-town for the weekend, and his daughter would drop by and check on the cat. The cat had a ‘dumbdoor’ - the catdoor equivalent of a dumbphone. The cat would spend her evenings neatly and precisely lining up dead rodents under the foot stool of Dan’s recliner.

That weekend, the cat chose me to be Dan’s proxy and left me a couple of dead rodents smack-dab in the middle of my front porch, perfectly aligned with the welcome mat…

6 Likes

Ugh, my cat does this. He brings a rat inside to play with before eating it, always in the middle of the night. The rat runs & hides under a bookcase & then I have to get up & move furniture around to help the cat corner its prey again. It’s like some horrible blood sport of the poor. On a good night, the rat is already dead & I only have to get it onto a dustpan, carry it outside for the cat to eat, & dispose of its parts in the morning.

4 Likes

Our cat used to go out and catch birds at night, and then leave them semi-disembowled on the floor, pretty much where your bare foot would come down as you walked downstairs in the morning.
To be fair, it did wake you the fuck up, at least the first few times.

4 Likes

kill5

10 Likes

The human’s response to this kind of thing gets me, bec most people wouldn’t hurt a fly and yet they let Muffin the Destroyer (the name of a friend’s cat) out every day to cut a swath through the local small animal population. If you have a big rodent problem, go for it, I guess.

On the one hand, the neighbor’s cat does cut down on the local bunny population. On the other hand, i once had to take a rabbit with a severed spine to a vet to be put down bec the cat didn’t finish it off, because it was too big or it stopped moving so the cat’s prey drive disengaged (the vet told me it was a cat bite).

Cats can be very vulnerable out there, too, between coyotes, raccoons, etc., and of course human beings: I just tried Googling for that recent story about a cat getting shot with an arrow, and at least 4 different news stories popped up. Jfc…

4 Likes

The feline equivalent of
“Hi guys, I want you to meet my new boyfriend! He’s in a band!”

7 Likes

I laughed way too hard at each of the horror stories in this thread, as I have begun experiencing such early morning night terrors of late. As in, this week of late.
Back end of a bunny, its face six inches away, arranged at 45° angles off the corner of the bed. I’ve begun to interpretet them more as threats than gifts; fine line, that one.
Oh yeah, big shout out to Folex. It’s as important to my mornings as coffee on those days.

4 Likes