Clever cat listens to instructions and unlocks a door so its owner can get back into the house

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/20/clever-cat-listens-to-instruct.html

14 Likes

Such a good friend!

14 Likes

An object lesson; don’t take in stray cats because they may be part of a break & enter team! :pouting_cat:

15 Likes

Anyone remember the safe scene in “The Adventures of Brisco County Jr.”?

1 Like

That’s why they call them cat burglars, innit?

22 Likes

Sure, “Cat inadvertently knocks down silly wooden peg holding sliding door shut.” doesn’t roll off the tongue as well, but come on…

3 Likes

“It took him three tries!”
eta: Comet, the world’s smartest horse. I wanted him for an NPC.

1 Like

Man! I was hoping to see the post-rescue skritchfest.

8 Likes

An avatar of a monkey wrench thrown into ‘the works’. Interesting.

2 Likes

Not shown in the video:

“Hand over the chimken nuggers, Gabby. That was the deal!”

10 Likes

Years ago my aunt and uncle had a cat - a Burmese, IIRC - that was fairly smart. It figured out how the lever-style door handles worked, then took great delight in letting itself in and out of rooms. And they took great delight in showing off how smrt their cat was.

When I went back about a month later all the lever door handles had been switched out for round twist handles.

I predict the folks in this video will soon have a different method for securing that sliding door.

7 Likes

i knew a pair of twins in college who trained their cat to use the toilet for a litter box. even better was when they trained her to climb up a rolled up carpet into a canoe suspended from the ceiling, then from there across to a 2"x12" extending out from the middle of the canoe, and then finally to the end of the 2"x12" to leap out onto the waterbed below it.

it was a beautiful thing to see.

8 Likes

Well, obviously the staff need to access the building if they are to be of any use at all. Sensible move.

5 Likes

My sister kept hearing someone peeing in the bathroom at night, but both kids’ lights would be off. One night she crept into the bathroom and one of the cats had apparently taught itself to use the toilet.

14 Likes

Inorite? What a rip!

1 Like

My family used to have a cat who did that. He also used to walk with my brother and sister when they went to primary school (it was about 50 metres away from where we lived) then go back home once they had got there.

9 Likes

Pretty sure the cat locked her out in the first place.

7 Likes

Flat wrench actually.

1 Like

That used to be a popular thing in the 1980s – people toilet training their cats rather than using litterboxes. It’s a neat idea, but it assumes that nobody will shut the bathroom door or close the lid on the toilet, preventing access for the cat. Of course if in your case the cat actually taught itself without being trained that is interesting.

2 Likes

Knowing cats, it was probably because the dog was drinking from it.

9 Likes