This machine learning-assisted cat door keeps kitty from bringing furry surprises home

733a37705296bc01caf68e1f83dde7e7

9 Likes

Taking in strays now?

7 Likes

Would not buy again. A minus minus.

9 Likes

I should be able to just open the regular door, but it’s a SmartDor and it’s Wifi-enabled too. For some reason whenever the cat door restarts, it kills the regular door’s connection and then I can’t open it, either, until I manually restart my router.

4 Likes

I recall this same solution being posted in the late 90’s or early 2000’s. But without the machine learning. Or to be more specific it was listed as image processing / Shape detection and I don’t recall the exact technology used to achieve this at the time. The camera set up was modified to show the cat as a silhouette against a blown out white background reducing the problem from image processing a photo to image processing / comparing the shape of the silhouette with a DB of previously tagged silhouettes.

2 Likes

I was right there until the blood money bit. It’s still the wrong solution, but with carbon offsets. But yeah, keep your cats inside. ESPECIALLY AS YOU NOT HAVING TO CLEAN UP YOUR CAT’S POOP MEANS SOMEONE ELSE HAS TO!

I take my cats out every day for supervised porch time. One of them loves going on ‘walks’ around the neighborhood, which is really just me carrying her around the block. No birds, squirrels, chipmunks, butterflies, or wasps have been harmed.

3 Likes

Great!

But, well, I’d be fine with her hurting some wasps. Lots and lots of wasps.

2 Likes

I’m more worried about swollen kitty noses on that front.

1 Like

I remember seeing something years ago, that said if you cat is brining you dead animals its thinks you are weak and its trying to teach you how to hunt as it thinks you can not live on your own and need help to hunt / feed…

Thats why they are some times a live but wounded as they are meant to be easy for you to catch / learn how to hunt…

3 Likes

Shit… I don’t know how many times Dan’s cat (her name is Monkey) watched me standing in my yard, shaking my fist and yelling profanities at the delinquent, disrespectful squirrels clowning around and taunting me. She pitied me.

3 Likes

Our old cat was a mighty huntress in her day, but now she’s a gentle old lady who just begs for wet food and poops on the floor next to the litter box. She was much more about the rodents though. She killed a lot of mice and rats, but I can’t remember her ever bringing us a bird.

My younger cat seems incapable of hunting. Once my dog brought her a mouse to play with. It ran right across her paws and she just watched it get away. The dog was shocked.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Not exactly a new idea. But then, what is?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.