A Dunkin' employee shows us how he makes ice coffee when tipped vs no tip

I’d wager that’s around 2000 caloric fat bomb.
Think about a human consuming 1 or 2 of these a day? WTF…

2 Likes

and a 1 and a 2 and {barfs} you were close! those drinks are full meals.

3 Likes

I thought we were all avoiding single-use plastics

Well, obviously they are defunct. The lawsuits from the tipping, dinosaur-riding, injured customers bankrupted them.

4 Likes

Still bitter about that Replacements song.

1 Like

The Replacements, “You ain’t nothin’ but a waitress in the sky.” My brother told me it was a sneering nod to a sister of the song writer. Not my kind of tune, but I love gigging a sibling.

1 Like

My local pastry shop morphed into a walkup window with cashless payment only during covid. And the cashier does all the ipadding. So when they ask if you’re okay with a 15% gratuity it gets awkward because you literally just tonged up a croissant off the speed rack, put it in a bag, and handed it to me. And this is a city with a $15 minimum wage and no tip credit.

I generally give them money because the current model is for people who can afford to subsidize wages to do so.

But, like, I don’t tip the guy at Auto Zone who hands me windshield wipers.

3 Likes

Marina gas stations (here in Canada, Ontario) diesel fuel CAN$2.30/litre. 3.78541 litres per US gallon.

The marina gas dock EXPECTS 20% gratuitous TIP.

A 90 foot yacht fuel tank is 2600 gallons. Roughtly CAN$9400 without the tip. They expect CAN$2000 tip? Good luck. They’d be lucky 50 bucks slipped to them on the sly and say, “Here ya go kid, dont tell anyone.”

edit if you have that sort of bread to spread around probably never notice the actual cost as it is never a matter of concern.

1 Like

It looks like Jason Mora won’t be working at Dunkin Donuts much longer.
He’s made it way too easy for management to identify and purge him.
Probably best for both parties.

1 Like

My local Chinese (American) restaurant did the same thing but there’s no hesitation in agreeing to the tip because it’s a family business, they’ve faced some horrendous mistreatment by some assholes in the community during the pandemic, and the matriarch who runs the show is such an absolute delight that she deserves tips just for making people laugh. But the same model for someone handing you a pastry and being paid a $15/hr minimum? Yeah…I’d be tempted to decline the tip.

1 Like

Robo-voice generator didn’t get tipped.

4 Likes

What’s the Dunkin’s manual say about how to make an iced coffee? Is the tipped way supposed to be standard? Or is that a flourish our tipped videographer has innovated to add value?

2 Likes

Different scenario, but when I worked fast food (KFC, decades ago) we were told by management we were strictly prohibited from accepting tips. Some nice folks did try, but we had to refuse.

And on the broader topic of tipping culture, I used to know a guy who drove tourist buses and one night at the pub he was bitching about people not tipping him. (He wasn’t a tour guide, per se, just driving) and I was surprised because I’d never thought of tipping a bus driver. I asked if he would tip a ferry boat captain, just trying to figure out where the line is between “should tip” and “should not.” I think for him it came down to having to “deal with customers” though he never could quite explain it other than that he should be tipped.

Edit: tyop

1 Like

While true, the reason I tip waitstaff is because they won’t make it to minimum wage at all without tips. They get $2/hr without that tipping.

While people working at fast food (at least in my area) make at the very least $15/hr and basically the same as me anyway. Yes, $15/hr is not a living wage here either, but the way I see it, tipping is to fill the gap.

If I had a choice? We’d algorithmically setup the minimum wage to be able to pay for housing and raising a family and all that good stuff on one income. Then any company that violated that would be dismantled.

4 Likes

$2/hr federally.

1 Like

She didn’t get Paid.

I first heard this voice here-- and found it odd because the performer has a more pleasant sounding voice of her own. Chalked it up to some weird meme.

2 Likes

My brother worked at the Auto Zone, and management does not want you tipping their employees. But it happens, and when he puts wipers on or installs a battery for you, sometimes they insist on tipping him. Especially outside, where the manager can’t see.
And then he was fired for taking tips.
He walked across the street to Advance Auto Parts, signed up, and continued his career without interruption. Still, the same policy exists there, but is more or less condoned. He can make $150 extra on a busy weekend.
Which is still more than his salary.

5 Likes

Good for him? I’m not talking about auto parts store employees doing service jobs in the parking lot.

Maybe a better analogy is not tipping the bodega guy who sold me cigarettes back when I smoked.

100%! what a better world it would be if hard working people made a living wage.

2 Likes

Dunkin has pushed more customers to their pre-paid pre-order app. There are no options to assign a tip, and the order is usually done before the customer arrives. How does he know who’s going to tip?