A Dunkin' employee shows us how he makes ice coffee when tipped vs no tip

I think you circled around to the general best practice. If they’ve made it easy to do, go for it.
One time I happened to be paying cash at drive through and told the cashier to keep the change (it was closer to a 15-20% tip, but heck if they didn’t have a bright personality that made the transaction pleasant). They were genuinely surprised and got a big smile. I think they may have even asked a coworker how to track it.

2 Likes

This was in a now defunct coffee shop. I’m just sharing it as a public service.

15 Likes

No kidding! I made the mistake of ordering an iced latte with nonfat milk. Nope. No nonfat milk at Dunkins.

They did make sure to dump some sugar in the drink for me.

:face_vomiting:

3 Likes

To many people, trying to tip them is considered an insult.

5 Likes

It is a bit odd and arbitrary which folks get tipped. One of the authors of Freakanomics wrote about how he felt that flight attendants deserve to be tipped as they’re providing services similar to waiters, hotel workers, and train porters, who are all customarily tipped. He asked a number of flight attendants if they’d ever received a tip, and they all said no. So he finally decided to tip one when on a trip and see what happened. She firmly refused the tip, emphasizing that flight attendants are not waiters, and making it known that the comparison was not welcome.

14 Likes

Shittily paid worker works shittily when not getting tipped, as tips would ensure they earn a living income.

Seems self-defeating to me.

Glad I live in a country with no tip culture…yet. We have a fixed 10% service tax you can opt out, but thanks to Uber et. al., people are getting used to tip.

1 Like

I think I’d be more worried about being seen stuffing a few bills into my pocket and management thinking that I was taking from the till (stealing).

1 Like

Baristas and bartenders see a lot of regular customers. As soon as you walk up to place a drink order, they have already looked at you and thought “I remember this guy; he’s a good tipper.” or “This is the guy who stiffs me every time.”

How about Dunkin corporate just pay a living wage?

8 Likes

Woohoo, way to stick it to the man.

giphy

5 Likes

If I tip extra can I ask that they don’t stick what I’m pretty sure is going to be a dirty spoon in my drink?

2 Likes

My wife uses curbside pick up at Miejer, these people are very nice and they bring the groceries to your car rain or shine or snow or heat.

She tries tipping them but they refuse to take it saying they will get in trouble.

I get it but we should be allowed to give anyone we want a tip for good job.

2 Likes

My local grocery has a tip bucket at each till for the baggers. It was new and strange to me at first but I ended up putting in loose change. During the height of lockdown on rare necessary outings I starting stuffing in $20s…

2 Likes

in NYC it is individual franchise owners, not corporate. and in this neighborhood at least they pay low and employees work long shifts. i saw an asst manager one day when i got a coffee at 7:30 AM and he was still there when i got an iced coffee at 8:30 PM. don’t know if it was by choice.

I’ve only seen tip buckets in grocery stores when shopping at the base commissary.

I really dislike the tipping rules. Pay a decent wage and make it non-awkward for everyone (he hoped).

6 Likes

I should say, Can we just have places pay living wages? That would be nice.

7 Likes

I worked at Walmart for a year and a half several years ago. HR made it clear to us that we would be fired if we were caught accepting a tip. Many grocery stores and other big box stores have similar policies.

For me, the decision whether or not to tip has to do not only with convention, but, especially in food service, with what they’re being paid. Unless I’m mistaken, fast food workers are paid the non-tipped minimum wage (at least 7.25/hr, higher on some areas), whereas the server at your local Chili’s is subject to a much lower minimum wage, relying on tips to bring her wages up to at least the federal minimum wage. I’m pretty sure Dunkin is in the former category.

2 Likes

yeah that was very gross looking.

2 Likes

In the olden days, when there used to be more people willing to work as wage slaves, yes.

2 Likes