A Dunkin' employee shows us how he makes ice coffee when tipped vs no tip

I got food the other day from a place that uses the “turntable tablet” method of asking for a tip at the register, “15% - 20% - 25% - no tip”. I sighed and hit the 15% option. While waiting for my food the employees there openly discussed a person who was coming in for pickup: “He always orders pickup and never tips.” That guy came in to grab his order and left. I thought, “that’s the guy who never tips”

1 Like

I’ll bet there is less than $1 worth of ingredients in that 1120 calorie, 180 carb bomb. I’ve never drunk any other coffee than standard American joe - black - and see no reason to pay six bucks for a coffee-flavored dessert. And all y’all can get off my lawn now.

1 Like

That’d probably result in a lot fewer women entering the workforce. Good or bad? Not for me to say, but “Unintended consequences? It’s the law!”

Anyone who wants to work should be able to profit by it. And nobody who doesn’t want to work should be forced to.

3 Likes

Actually, not really. TIP is an abbreviation for “to insure promptitude”. Tips were originally given before service was rendered as a pre-payment for proper service or special attention.

But indeed, tipping culture in the US is a mess.

3 Likes

Maybe she was gonna quit and wanted to smear the company on the way out?

Is that really what you mean? If I decide at age 22 that I don’t ever want to work, what should be provided me?

Yeah I meant what I said. Rich fucks who have $160 billion dollars can get taxed and pay for all the massive economic externalities and wealth inequality they cause.

Basic suvival necessities should be a right.

I’m tired of rich fucks talking about people “pulling their weight” as if they ever do.

6 Likes

The OED has dates.

I answered a query about the “tip” story a decade ago, but since it’s still making the rounds I’ll take another whack at it. The form of the story that my reader back then had encountered was “tip” supposedly being an acronym for “to insure promptness,” and he also raised the question of the proper word being, in such cases, “ensure” rather than “insure.” It’s true that “insure” has traditionally been used mostly in financial contexts (particularly to mean “to arrange a guarantee of compensation in case of loss or failure”), while “ensure” has been used in broader contexts to mean simply “to make sure something happens or is done” (“Dave’s credit card bill ensured that he went to work every day”). But both words (along with “assure”) are commonly used today in that general “make sure it happens” sense. So the fact that the term isn’t “tep” doesn’t prove much.

2 Likes

@jerwin Interesting. Thanks. Supporting this, I find:

Assure , ensure , and insure ultimately derive from the Latin word sēcūrus meaning “safe.” As with many words that share ancestors, these terms’ meanings can overlap and, in some cases, they still function as synonyms. In fact, ensure and insure have a very close history: insure developed as a spelling variant of ensure and functioned this way for hundreds of years. Essentially, they were the same word!

All that said, in my experience, most colloquial etymologies of abbreviations are incorrect. One that often springs to mind is that I have heard tour guides, more than a few times, declare that the etymology for “wharf” is that it is an abbreviation of “warehouse at waterfront”. Which I find amusingly absurd. But I’ve veered horribly off-topic here. Blame my ADHD!

1 Like

I’d be curious if that we’re true. If so, it goes to increasing the value of raising kids and keeping a home. Maybe the birth rate would go up (people in some countries complain the replenishment fertility rate is below 1)—or at least allow parents to spend more time with their kids.

When I got out of college I was a temp at an insurance company doing generic office work. Most of my coworkers who worked there full time were women with kids my age who had reentered the workforce after taking time off for raising kids. I remember hearing before women were accepted into the workforce many spent a lot of time organizing volunteer work. Jobs that non-profits now have to pay for.

I really think a lot of people want to work. I also think the US and a lot of countries undervalue maintaining a house and raising kids.

2 Likes

So I would like to start off by saying I work for Dunkin personally we do not do what this said employee does i am sure there has been a few but it most definitely is not the whole franchise. Most of the time on any given day at my Dunkin store if you are not working at the front counter register you do not know who tips and who does not .also usually the drink or the food is already made by the time the person has paid and either walked down the other end of the counter to pick it up or made it to the drive thru to recieve their said items so this is a complete lie for most of Dunkin’s franchise .and also for the people whom ask about tips .we do accept tips they are greatly appreciated .But they are not a mandatory thing .even though we may not psychically walk the drinks or food right to you we are still like chefs and waitresses someone has to fulfill your order for the people saying they never knew you should tip at fast food places.and lastly for the people asking about tips and credit cards unfortunately we do not have an option to leave a tip on a credit card which is a little beyond me why not but thats how it goes .i would like to say thank you though to all the nice people in this world whom make my pay check possible thank you

8 Likes

As someone who worked as a cook, server, bartender, and manager, you should be fired for discrimination.

In case people don’t know: In the US, if you work in a tipped position at a restaurant, if you don’t (according to your slips, so cash tips aren’t counted) reach minimum wage for your shifts, the employer is required to make up the difference.
In my decade plus of working jobs like this, this never ever happened to me or anyone I knew in the industry. Tips never failed to “make up the difference.”
I still think the overall framework is shitty, but wanted to clarify.
Please tip your servers, anyway.

4 Likes

Hello,

I typically pay by credit card, including the tip, at coffee shops and restaurants. I wonder if all of that reaches the barista or waiter?

3 Likes

In my experience, yes, but I have heard stories of corrupt employers skimming.
One place I worked, you’d get half the credit card tips at cash out at the end of the night and the other half would be added to your paycheck for the period.
The key difference is that the workers pay taxes on the credit card tips, whereas cash tips that exceed the “minimum wage” threshold (see previous post) are basically untaxed income.

3 Likes

not locked up ; but 2 hot meals , one cold , a cot located semi-privately , 3 to 4 cubic feet of locked storage , a library card , basic medical attention including dental and mental health , semi-private sanitary facilities , educational opportunities , a bus pass or the equivalent , an opportunity to vote , some sort of basic local climate appropriate clothing , probably a few other things - - -

2 Likes

Food service is difficult, low paid work that much of society sees as both something the customer “deserves” but that the people doing it are beneath contempt, lazy, and less than human, not deserving of a living wage for the service they are providing.

But sure… better that they treat the customer like a god, no matter how they are treated… Not like they are doing “real” work anyways… /s

4 Likes

Yes, and…I wish I could find the article, but there was a good one a while ago about how restaurants serve as a de facto social safety net in the US. It’s the one industry that people can almost always find a job, regardless of prior felonies or the like, the hours can work with various schedules, etc.
Clearly, we should do better, but the industry fills a gaping hole in our social services in this country. Your comment got me thinking about how customers think it’s okay to treat the workers like shit, just like they think it’s okay to scorn people using their EBT cards at the grocery.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.