A factory-sealed iPhone 1 from 2007 just sold at auction for $39,339.60

Originally published at: A factory-sealed iPhone 1 from 2007 just sold at auction for $39,339.60 | Boing Boing

5 Likes

It’s a glitter bomb.

9 Likes

People are so freaking weird. It’s hardly something I would find “collectible.” There’s nothing inherently cool about it (in my opinion of course). If it were an old 1950’s rotary, I could see the draw, it would be at least visually interesting. But it’s just a smaller than modern glass rectangle that you can’t use and, if you remove from the box, will be immediately worth less.

But sure, if I find one, I’ll make sure to sell it at action.

5 Likes

This is pretty much Schrödinger’s phone. It’s worth a lot if you don’t confirm it’s in there. Once you do, it isn’t worth anything*

*I guess you could X-Ray / Sonogram it - never mind.

3 Likes

my old iphone + heat gun + sealing bag = ?

I litteraly saw seller wraping open box phone on some shop to look like new.

You can try to check the price of 100 Shrink Wrap Bags, it’s around 9 USD

1 Like

Not long ago, I found my iPhone 3G (second generation of the iPhone, despite the name) in the back of a drawer. Dug up a 30-pin connector, charged it, and booted it up.

I won’t call the experience of using it nostalgic, because that’s not exactly right, but I did feel an echo of the excitement of something new and different—it really was exciting when it was new. And it really brought home in a visceral way how much smartphones have changed society, and how quickly they have advanced, because holy cow, that thing was so primitive compared to what we have now.

3 Likes

My money says it won’t power on anyway.

Lithium batteries do not usually take kindly to being left uncharged for 15 years.

Enjoy your brick?

2 Likes

Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

9 Likes

I’ve got my 3GS around here somewhere.

2 Likes

Hmm, 15 year old Li battery in there, I wonder how swollen it is by now…

2 Likes

Worth every penny.

sent from my iPhone

3 Likes

Is it more or less inherently valuable than an NFT?

4 Likes

The simple fact that I could bean a crypto bro in the head with it from a distance says it’s inherently more valuable… though that is a high price for something so base.

3 Likes

If they unseal it it ruins the value, that thing ain’t never getting open.

3 Likes

What would the $599 be worth if you had bought apple stock instead? It pains me to think about it.

3 Likes

Nokia bricks are still around :woman_shrugging:t3:

3 Likes

Right?!? I’m getting that Chidi stomach ache feeling…

shocked oh no GIF by globaltv

1 Like

I never understood that impulse. So did you buy the toy as an investment to hawk later? I guess it could be valuable to somebody else who gives no shit about it to hide away unopened. Like saving the joy for opening it for retirement? Most mass produced toys will never be worth that much. This is like some boomer mind worm that infected younger generations.

2 Likes

Est around $200k.

Save your stuff kids!

1 Like

… as long as we’re firing up the time machine, we could wait a couple years and buy Bitcoin instead

1 Like