A fake Harvard diploma costs $650

Or just: -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

The only time I had to show my diploma to anyone was for when we put our wedding announcement in the NY Times. The guy asking for it was a real asshole.

2 Likes

Niiice. I waaant.

1 Like

Cock inspector?

1 Like

Relevant: http://freakonomics.com/2012/07/30/freakonomics-goes-to-college-part-1-a-new-freakonomics-radio-podcast/

Youā€™d be surprised. We had a local principal get busted for falsely claiming a diploma; it took years before someone had noticed.

Oh, there are plenty of employers who will just take your word for it, but those people arenā€™t going to look at the diploma. Anyone who really cares is going to actually follow up. I donā€™t think thereā€™s a set of people who will both suspiciously demand proof of your degree, and then be completely mollified when you wave a pretty paper at them.

You may jest, but thatā€™s actually a ā€œthing,ā€ run by a grifter long accused of running lotsa diploma mills.

damn, I had that idea as wellā€¦ my current diploma collection is hanging around @ my toilette and all of them are just slightly used so far. what do you think about the resell value, should be high?

Ugh, Iā€™m a total sucker for wasting my time and money on a real degree.

1 Like

Copies of transcripts can be faked even easier than a diploma, as long as the employer doesnĀ“t bother to check them.

Somewhere I still have the diploma for a PHD I ordered out of the back of Rolling Stone magazine back in the 80s. IIRC it was about $20.

1 Like

My ex-husband had a somewhat similar issue in that he had a lot of jobs on his resume. What happened was that he had ended up, not necessarily by his own design, specializing in helping companies get sold. It was more like once heā€™d done that, it was a skill that was really in demand and the only companies willing to hire someone who had had so many jobs were ones who wanted to get bought out. So he was in this weird circular loop where he couldnā€™t get in the door at companies that would give him more permanent work to explain all the jobs on his resume and as long as he was honest he was stuck once again taking a short term job.

Finally he ended up going back and adjusting dates on companies that had gone bankrupt or been bought out three times since heā€™d worked for them and cutting out a few others.

I wasnā€™t too happy with what he did, but on the other hand, I know it was something he wrestled with and needed to do in order to get past the judgments people were making about him based on a piece of paper.

I think companies are quite gullible to hire and pay people according to paperwork like this. I have known people with ā€œrealā€ degrees who were through time. persistence, and luck able to graduate without knowing much of anything in their chosen area. Or not able to use it in a work environment. Itā€™s probably worth asking about this stuff, but not making final decisions.

My last job had an alarmingly quick turnaround rate, and there was always a lot of controversy as to procedures for evaluating prospective temps and hires. My (quite unwelcome) suggestion was to actually test that these people knew and were able to perform the tasks needed. But ā€œnobody does thatā€. Still, right up to when I left, they were always dumbfounded how people didnā€™t work out who sounded great on paper. Testing them yourself involves evidence. Relying upon a circle jerk of their reputation, the reputation of their school, the reputation of their accrediting organization, etc seems a lot more indirect, and doesnā€™t tell you as much.

1 Like

My dad never finished his degree, and heā€™s now a Senior Lecturer (ā€˜associate professorā€™ in American). When the university realised, they just went, ā€˜Oh, wellā€™ and gave him an honorary masters.

Iā€™m a firm believer that you need at least one lie on your CV.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s why my resume has Speaker of the House on it.

6 Likes

If youā€™re gonna go, go big.

2 Likes

Without lying, you can say that you were Time Magazineā€™s 2006 Person of the Year.

5 Likes

But who even asks to see a diploma? Iā€™ve got three and not one prospective employer has ever asked to see one, or even a copy of one. I always thought of diplomas as fancy wall decorations to put on display if you needed a little ego-boost in your study or office, but even that seems pointless if the person who needs said boost knows itā€™s a lie.