A guerilla campaign to save grizzly bears in Wyoming is underway

I like the strategy of this campaign, and I also think a lot of hunters are kind of macho jerks (particularly if they aren’t hunting for the meat but the trophy), but I also recognize that some kind of wildlife management is necessary thanks to the way our human population has grown and sprawled out, so I’m divided on this grizzly hunt. I think I’m also trusting the local rangers to be a better judge of the sustainable population than well-meaning outsiders. In some parts of the US when bear, deer or moose populations grow there are problems with car accidents, and home invasions by nuisance bears. (I can also see this strategy being counterproductive if they try to negate the campaign by picking more numbers from the lottery to ensure more hunters.)

A game warden usually isn’t a scientist.

On hearing Ms. Goodall’s plan, I remembered the joke about the hiker who prepared for entering grizzly country by wearing bells to scare the bears away & carrying pepper spray as a last resort. He disappeared, but forest rangers discovered grizzly scat with bells in it & which smelled like pepper spray.

1 Like

Add fornicating, and it’s most of us.

1 Like

I think Jane Goodall has received basically all the awards there are. I also think it’s about time to makeup some new ones so we can give them to her.

3 Likes

I was thinking those fees would be the primary incentive here.

Having visited cellars full of a redneck’s illicit shit, I don’t think facebook is the only outlet for people.

I only wish this news had come out before the 16 July deadline! So, the GoFundMe page is to pay a supportive lottery winner’s expenses on a photo trip to Wyoming, yes? Maybe I didn’t read carefully enough somewhere, but wouldn’t the winners have been notified by now?

They are bears, just arm them.

1 Like

She hasn’t gotten the Nobel, which IMHO wouldn’t be totally unjustified given her research on chimpanzees that not only showed they used tools etc but revolutionized the way scientists approached animal studies.

Game Wardens are law enforcement officials that make sure that people don’t over harvest or violate other hunting rules. 90% of the time, they are dealing with members of the public who are armed. They have a tough job, but they manage not to kill anyone virtually all of the time. Amazing, that…

But nope, they are not scientists.

Which is why there is a separate group of people who are scientists who handle the science.

The people who gather the data at the check stations are normally not game wardens or biologists; they are just trained on data gathering. Both the wardens (or conservation officers) and the wildlife biologists are really busy during hunting season so they get help.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.