A Happy Mutant’s Home Office

Brother B&W Laserjet. Worth the money and desk space. I’m a student and turning shit in hardcopy is still required by most of my professors. Then there’s reading and proofreading, which I find is more difficult on screen. I print out labels for lab stuff, and I always keep physical SDS (Safety data sheets) for chemicals. I also may have a project coming up that requires pamphlet production. So there are a lot of uses for a printer, it just depends on the user.

I don’t like Canon for precisely this reason. I’d recommend an Epson Workforce over this model. Text quality isn’t the best, but it’s not bad, and it’s pretty solid all around otherwise, especially when you’re thinking about ink value. A 252 high capacity black cartridge from Epson gives ~1,100 pages at 5% coverage. That’s pretty good for $30-$40.

Are you going to start paying to read BoingBoing? I mean this is a reality in web-based publishing. I don’t get disappointed when my favorite podcasts push Audible’s free trial on me. I don’t see how they’re going to keep the lights on without ads. The thing says, “sponsored by…” rather than pretending to be something else. That being said, it’s a solid laser printer. It’s principal drawback is lower image quality than other printers of its class, but it makes up for it with speed and other factors. (I sell printers all day at work.)

4 Likes