A highly scientific fictional approach to ranking musical artists using math

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/14/a-highly-scientific-fictional.html

Look, the best band name is obviously The The.

4 Likes

!!!

1 Like

That’s a lot of verbiage just to say “I took bands with numbers in their names and put them in descending order” sheesh.

1 Like

While obviously the “best” song or musical artist is hopelessly subjective, even changing day to day and hour to hour for the same listener, curiously there is an objectively worst song: “Paradise by the Dashboard Light” by Meatloaf.

1 Like

Yes, but that style of writing is one the satirical targets!

4 Likes

You got me there. It must be that seeing the word “math” shuts down my satire detection abilities!

2 Likes

It happens to the best of us!

(By “best of us” I mean those whose names are ranked higher by the Horowitz Method, of course)

3 Likes

As an objective measure of value delivered, it’s obvious that notes per minute is the best way to calculate that. And it should only count varying notes; the same note played over and over adds little value. Studies have shown that pleasure derived from a repeated stimulus decreases rapidly with repetition.

There, solved that one pretty easily!

I wonder how this model would handle bands such as Gong

3 Likes

Spoken like someone who’s never heard “Boot Scootin’ Boogie”.

2 Likes

It’s “Beautiful Girls” by Sean Kingston.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.