A hilarious moment when CBS's Gayle King sees something near Surgeon General and asks: "What the hell is that?"

Originally published at: A hilarious moment when CBS's Gayle King sees something near Surgeon General and asks: "What the hell is that?" | Boing Boing

12 Likes

sailor-moon-cute

18 Likes

Protip: if you’re going to do a bunch of national TV interviews on Zoom and you don’t want people to see your home office setup just pay the 20 bucks for a cheap green screen to hang behind you, the effect is way better than Zoom’s automatic background masking.

26 Likes

I love that this is becoming a normal part of work. My daughter has been a regular in most of the meetings I’ve had for the last 6 years.

I used to apologize or give folks a heads up, now I don’t have to. Half the time, a client’s kid has shown up before mine has figured out what I’m doing. It adds a really nice human element to the whole experience.

27 Likes

Agreed. A co-worker called me a few weeks ago and as soon as I answered his kid shrieked in the background.

I just laughed, partly to put the guy at ease (I’m was managing his project) but also it was pretty damn funny.

11 Likes

Cute! guess we have to thank the zoom culture for allowing our humanity to show through. typing of “show through” why does the zoom background pull out the child’s hair for back-grounding around 0:18? oh for the ancient days of chroma-key where a single color could be blamed for such.

5 Likes

I’ve got the brooder box in my room that I teach from. When the chicks get loud I fish one out for the students so they can see what the noise is about. I’ve met dogs, cats, babies… I really hope this sticks around.

9 Likes

I need my 30 year old Son to do that, but first I need a meeting, then somebody help me learn Zoom, and then cue the 6’ 2 red headed monster to pop up in my screen. Oh, and also somebody please pick him up in Phoenix bring him to Joshua Tree for the whole thing to work…

33 Likes

I’m guessing the program that detects background, in part, does through detecting motion. It’ll learn what in the scene holds still and what moves. This is why if you have a single person in front of a static background, they tend to perform pretty well. But if you introduce something new (and if parts of it don’t contrast well with the background) then it can have trouble figuring out what’s the new object and what’s existing background. I would guess from this that the boy has dark hair and the background is dark as well.

7 Likes

Well, it would have been nice if the provided clip had actually shown the alleged popping up, rather than just the denouement.

4 Likes

ki-kis-delivery-service-packing

13 Likes

Don’t forget the snacks, and your best sing along Neil Diamond CD.

ROAD TRIP!

14 Likes

Cute moment for sure. But there seems to be a trend of bb headlines with the word ‘hilarious’ as a description and … they are not hilarious. There is zero hilarity. Chucklearious perhaps. Amusing even.

4 Likes
4 Likes

That’s a really handsome little pup. Him reaching up to hug dad’s head just makes me smile right through to my heart.

5 Likes

I was almost naked husband carrying dog in the background a month ago. My wife had the camera off at that point and I heard the voices so I put the dog down and turned around.

1 Like

My Dear Wife and I are surely in there somewhere.

5 Likes

Lessons in Zooming: when I whisper to my son - who usually wants to know why someone looks funny - it’s actually louder than all the other people in the meeting talking.

3 Likes

“But, Mr President, you can’t allow kids in to zoom meetings; they’ll see the big board!”

11 Likes

I am just a little bit weirded out that she actually said “we don’t know what the hell that is”… on morning primetime TV on a over the air channel.

I mean, it was just so casual, and so not necessary. And it’s kind of bad, particularly since it turned out to be his son. Who was exceptionally cute and that was such an endearing moment and the whole dichotomy between the official-looking background and the whole making it look like it’s a formal press conference then realizing he’s at home in his spare bedroom office and his kids are there is just really happy for me.

I guess I’m just old and grumpy or something. :slight_smile:

2 Likes