A history of the sprawling personality clashes over RSS

Use the direct boingboing one; feedburner was originally a combination CDN and Ad-management service (it would inject ads into your RSS feeds for you so you could monetize them). There are a couple of good histories of feedburner if you google for 'em.

3 Likes

I’m old and live on an RSS app so what do I know.
But I’m curious: What does this “killing” RSS mean? Obviously the format and apps are still around. Does it mean that RSS was expected to be Google or Facebook huge and instead are like a niche? And if it’s only a niche, what’s wrong with that? Is the niche too small to survive, or does the format and related services remain viable?
I’m very confused.

4 Likes

The public of BoingBoing is probably not very representative of the wider web, but add me to the list of people still using RSS.

My reader of choice is the Old Reader, a simplified Google Reader clone.

1 Like

Basically when Google Reader was dropped by Google, the number of sites offering their content through RSS has slowly but steadily dropped.

1 Like

I get my BB fix daily via RSS in Thunderbird. AFAIK, there is no intermediary there. Right?

If I want to watch a video posted, TB doesn’t display it, but clicking the link takes me to the BB post in Firefox. So again, no intermediaries, right?

1 Like

Now I’m more confused. I use Feedly and for some sites, I use the main URL, not a feed URL. So again, what’s the actual problem?

1 Like

As @WimBonner mentions above, sites with an RSS will have that tagged in their header. I imagine Feedly just picks up that tag when you point directly at the main URL.

For instance, if you look at the source on boingboing.net, you’ll see tags for both the main feed and comments feed:

<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="Boing Boing &raquo; Feed" href="https://boingboing.net/feed" />
<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="Boing Boing &raquo; Comments Feed" href="https://boingboing.net/comments/feed" />

(And count me as yet another RSS junkie and Feedly user.)

Why wait for sites to offer feeds? What I do is convert html pages to atom feeds.

This way I can use my feed reader to filter everything with a blacklist of regular expressions, then send the updates as e-mail messages. Doing this I don’t waste time with content I already know I don’t want to see, as it is all filtered automatically. Plus some keywords are highlighted to make it easier to eyeball some categories of content.

I can easily check 1000+ pages multiple times per day and not see a single advertising.

Companies don’t need to know what I like and what I don’t like. I do my own computing and don’t need their black box algorithms.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.