A law prof responds to students who anonymously complained about #blacklivesmatter tee

On the other hand, we’ve got this guy…

Seems a little milquetoast in comparison, no? (That’s his little ■■■■■ buddy in the bg there.)

12 Likes

Then there’s Doctor Strange.

After his career is destroyed, a brilliant but arrogant and conceited surgeon …

Shouldn’t this be Mister Strange because surgery?

4 Likes

Not just a “racist” statement, but “highly offensive and extremely inflammatory” one. Their complaints have a certain logic if they realize that in some sense the US has, from the start, been waging a war against African Americans - but they consider it a just war. These are the sorts of people who have been raised to think of the US as having always been right (even in slavery, genocide, etc). I’m sure they’re not aware that’s their position, but it exists, in the back of their mind, unconsidered. Therefore to say that the lives of the “enemy” have worth is a traitorous statement (and therefore inflammatory and offensive). It further becomes a racist statement if one sees this conflict as having (only) two sides and one projects that view onto the “other” side - if one’s side is waging a war against African Americans, then the “opposite” side must therefore be a war against whites. QED to take a “pro-black” position is to take an “anti-white” position. To suggest one has a black identity in which one has pride is to show solidarity with an enemy of the United States. Etc.

There’s a cultural assumption that people in engineering/medical/law school are “smart.” Unfortunately this is not necessarily true.

How dare the ageist NSPCC advocate attacks on the elderly!

10 Likes

A shirt with buttons? How classy!

I’m pretty sure surgeons go to medical school.

Mister vs. Doctor as far as Surgery vs. Medicine goes may be a Brit-influence thing then.

1 Like
4 Likes

I work in an academic environment where the expectation is that students use “Dr.”, “Mr.” or “Ms.” when referring to faculty and staff. It’s not a big deal to me personally, but if a student who is aware of this expectation refers to me by my first name, I would probably assume that they are being intentionally disrespectful. Not disrespectful of my ideas, but of me personally. The conversation will likely go downhill from there.

If your goal is constructive dialog, I’d recommend against this. It’s an ad hominem attack before you even get started.

13 Likes

I’d imagine turning up in court and failing to address the His or Her Honor Judge Tightass with the due deference and platitudes they’ve come to expect in their own personal judicial fiefdom would end pretty badly for your clients. Maybe law students having a little courtesy beaten into them isn’t a bad thing?

8 Likes

HA!

In other words: you guys came here to learn, not to be coddled. If you knew more than me, then why bother to go to school at all.

Go ahead, be offended, then ask yourself why you are so offended by someone else asserting their right to exist.

4 Likes

Their not missing the point. They’re intentionally trying to expunge it for their own benefit.

3 Likes

When you look up “pwned” in the dictionary, this is what comes up.

4 Likes

In my experience, that’s not the true. People get their news from headlines and sound bites and to them “all lives matter” is a perfectly reasonable response to “black lives matter”. Like I said, that’s pretty much the depth of my understanding of the BLM movement before Xeni’s comment made me think.

In my mind this is the prof:

5 Likes

Wouldn’t that be a critical thinking fail? All one could really come away with is: “CBS says that this is the situation”. This is why I think kids should be taught to pick apart media from a very young age. If people actually make it to college and don’t even suppose that those who broadcast television news might have or represent different agendas than they say, then there is a huge problem. I certainly don’t wait for the local schools to teach this to my kids.

3 Likes

I just finished a great meal, and am suddenly hungry again.

1 Like

Mister Who simply does not have the same ring to it, and I think only a few people even know his first name!

7 Likes

I am against the BLM because they do a poor job of managing our public lands. Different meanings for different folks.

1 Like

He’s The Mister!

4 Likes

Isn’t that basically just an open (or ‘deconstructed’) avocado burger? In other words; what @Ryjkyj said :wink:

2 Likes