A list of real songs about fictional songs (e.g. "Jailhouse Rock")

Think he was more referring to “The baffled king composing “Hallelujah””

Also, My Bloody Valentine’s secret chord may not be a song, but it’s a hell of an outro.

There’s a Hold Steady song that uses Jukebox numbers to reference real songs (“B-1 is for the good girls, and it’s “Only The Good Die Young” C-9 is for the making eyes, and it’s “Paradise By The Dashboard Light””), vitamins (“B-12 is for the speeders”), and their pals the Dillinger 4 (“And D4 is for the lovers”).

1 Like

How about the song that doesn’t end? Because in the fictional song that doesn’t end some people started singing it not knowing what it was and they continued singing it just because it was the the song that doesn’t end but in the real song about the song that doesn’t end also called the song that doesn’t end some puppets started singing it knowing what it was about and they sang it just long enough to make Shari Lewis shout.

2 Likes

How about Too-ra-loo-ra-loo-ral?

Over in Killarney, many years ago
My mother sang a song to me in tones so soft and low
Just a simple little ditty in her good old Irish way
And I’d give the world if I could hear that song of hers today

Too-ra-loo-ra-loo-ral
Too-ra-loo-ra-li
Too-ra-loo-ra-loo-ral
That’s an Irish lullaby

It’s always bugged me as a song, because I’ve always thought what, the traditional Irish lullaby ends needing “that’s an Irish lullaby” to complete the rhyme?

1 Like

What was he playing? Real good for free.

Does “Number Three” from TMBG qualify? One could argue that the third song is this song itself, so it’s not fictional.

‘Waltzing Matilda’ isn’t about a song, or a dance. A ‘matilda’ is a traveler’s bindle, and ‘waltzing matilda’ is traveling overland with all your things in a matilda.

1 Like

Tonight she’ll be with him no matter the cost
As the band plays The Last Cheater’s Waltz

1 Like

This is slightly off-topic but Buck Owens had a hit with “Together Again” and then Buck Owens and Emmy Lou Harris recorded “Play Together Again, Again.”

3 Likes

My spouse and I were talking about C&W tropes last week, and I had her look up this song, natch. Hadn’t heard it in over 20 years, so it was a fun listen.

“Dixie Chicken”, by Little Feat.

It is also the only song I know that needs a spoiler alert. …Which I’ve cleverly ruined here.

To be a bit pedantic, the original request wasn’t merely for songs about songs; it was for “songs about other, fictional songs that share the same titles as the real songs”.

I was going to post something like this as well, but on thinking about it and rechecking the lyrics, the swagman sings “you’ll come a-waltzing…etc”, so to me the song is at least a marginal fit to this topic.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.