A look at the Information Dominance Center, a replica ST:TNG Enterprise bridge used to sell surveillance to Congress

I wonder if this is the same bridge used to make IRS training videos, because that would significantly complicate the issue. Training IRS employees is a frivolous waste of precious taxpayer value, you see, while swaying pantywaist congresspersons to do their patriotic duty to sacrifice everything to the War on Terror is of existential importance to this great democracy of ours. If the same set pulled both duties, it would be a moral conundrum!

There must have been a lot of eye rolling and suppressed laughter among the workstation operators whenever some pompous goob sat down in that chair.

2 Likes

This seems like a more extreme form of the absurdity I see in my own job. I work in a network operations center, and I gather our room is laid out as typical for NOCs: we have rows of workbenchs with workstations and clusters of monitors, and everyone faces one wall, where there are very large (and expensive) monitors showing a variety of charts and graphs.

The monitors in the front of the room are just for show. They’re colorful, but the details that actually matter can’t be read from them, and we have all that information at our workstations anyway. I’ve long assumed that the whole arrangement is modeled on Star Trek and the typical movie depiction of military command centers.

1 Like

Just a friendly note: Mohammad Mosaddegh was prime minister of Iran, not president.

More importantly, thanks for the mention of Chalmers Johnson. I do worry that democracy is over. All that worry about a Communist takeover, and it turns out to be the military, just as Eisenhower warned. Speaking of which, my parents escaped a totalitarian Communist regime, and here I am, in a country that spies on all its citizens. But hey, the marketing guy plays basketball and has a family and dogs, and he has a Nobel Peace Prize, so it’s alright.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.