A look back at children's TV show pioneer, Captain Kangaroo

Now Slim Goodbody, I totally remember.

Human memory is weird.

14 Likes

Pauly Shore is older than I thought…

6 Likes

Just what were the Cohn Brothers thinking?

2 Likes

Does it explain where the very different hair style came from? Even as a kid, I thought that was some crazy hair!

3 Likes

Don’t forget Sally Starr.

I remember the show was sponsored by one of the big cereal companies, and they had an intermittently working Rube Goldberg machine that prepared a bowl of cereal for eating: pour out cereal, add milk, add sugar, drop in spoon. Usually it was just a set piece because the machine was broken; it was a big event the one or two times I actually saw it function as intended.

Don’t forget Bunny Rabbit and his carrot kleptomania. Also remember the books he read, the same 3 or 4 all the time, but they were good ones.

9 Likes

And I would always listen for my name and have this pregnant sense that ONE day, any day, she would say it… and she never did. :frowning:

4 Likes

Thanks for the memories…
Damn, I got old.

2 Likes

So, in this episode, we’re watching (on TV) a dog who is watching TV.

This show was so meta even before being meta was a thing.

4 Likes

Captain Kangaroo was mildy humorous, and I could see the age difference between my younger brother who watched it, and me & my older brother, who preferred WALLACE AND LADMO, a legendary local Phoenix AZ production that was very Ernie Kovacs-ian, with a side of MAD Magazine, and the best kid’s show ever broadcast…Famous people were on it daily, it showed Roger Ramjet cartoons, and even had its own rock and roll vibe.

1 Like

Oh, and that Spielberg kid would show his home-made films on occasion…

2 Likes

Slim Goodbody is the only part of Captain Kangaroo that I remember and I was thrilled to get to see him perform live at a local museum. Even more amazing is that he’s still performing. A friend of mine took her kids to see him which should have made me feel old but actually had the opposite effect.

6 Likes

No love for Dancing Bear?

3 Likes

I count Slim Goodbody and Simon in the Land of Chalk Drawings as the cutoff point between myself and my younger brothers when it comes to Captain Kangaroo. I was leaving children’s shows behind, and they were just starting to watch on a regular basis.

6 Likes

Never saw it so I’ll still vouch for Wonderama.

For me, the Captain is right up there, though.

4 Likes

I also remember “Well, you know my name is Simon” really well, but I could have sworn I watched it on Pinwheel on Nickelodeon…

6 Likes

Me too? Turns out it was on both…

7 Likes

CK was always on the nose as far as his target audience.

Well intentioned, but DB always creeped me out. I was more in tune with Shari Lewis and her puppet Lambchops.

3 Likes

Lamb Chop Dancing GIF

4 Likes
3 Likes