A madman has been given the keys to the surveillance state

Ah, the same person who said “Every critic, every detractor, will have to bow down to President Trump. It’s everyone who’s ever doubted Donald, who ever disagreed, who ever challenged him. It is the ultimate revenge to become the most powerful man in the universe.”

4 Likes

That, and the minor detail that he’s probably not of Japanese descent.

3 Likes

This whole thinking of “well, trump will be kept in check by [XYZ]”? He and his merry band of sycophants won’t. They now have the keys to the kingdom and sadly, we’re all along for the murder/death/kill ride.

4 Likes

And what did you come up with? Anything other than, “I wonder…”?

1 Like

I can’t “like” this…

3 Likes

I have no idea why americans are so fucking stupid, sorry I just don’t understand.

3 Likes

Um… the difference is that Cory isn’t about to be sworn in as the most powerful individual on the face of the earth.

4 Likes

Can you stop talking about “liberals” as a monolith. Plenty of people realized this well before now. Some of us were just trying to stave off a worst case scenario and that is now what we’re getting.

15 Likes

Actually, rightly or wrongly I get the impression that you find my posts kind of irritating. Sorry about that. Your pedantry in this case wasn’t needed because Clinton has already conceded - and in any case I think the comment stands; an electoral system that gives greater weight to certain electors than to others, which is what the electoral college does, is a flawed system. All democratic systems have flaws, but given that in 2016 total votes cast across the entire country can be counted and there is no need for a tiered system, this is a fixable flaw.

2 Likes

Are all the other countries that seem to be marching towards fascism (with some already there) also stupid? What about the people who didn’t vote ,or voted for Clinton or a third party? Are we also stupid?

6 Likes

5 Likes

I totally agree with you, as do a significant number of citizens. There have been calls for reform after every election.

But for the record: it has happened a few times in our history that an elector has not voted as ‘instructed’. The last time is generally thought to have been an honest mistake, but it is always a possibility.

1 Like

That’s fair. There are some who are opposed to the warmaking, surveillance state in general.

But when you look at the general level of dissent and protest against Obama’s warmaking and snooping as compared to Bush’s, it’s like your kitchen taps compared to Niagara.

Generally speaking, Republicans are in favor of war and government surveillance overall, Democrats find no reason to object when their people are working the controls.

So there is only serious pushback when there’s a Republican at the helm.

And yes, there is a small group doubtless including yourself who is concerned at all times.

Yes. Syria and Iran.

6 Likes

My post was in response to the “Germany now stands on the brink of a far-right, neo-Nazi government” sentence. it was a reply to someones post above, not sure why it was inserted here as an individual post.

I wonder how bad it’s going to get before the DNC stops whining about the americans and realize what they’ve actually done.

2 Likes

I’m in favor of the electoral college mechanism, but I think the electoral votes should be automatically assigned rather than being at the individual discretion of human electors.

If we abolished the EC, and if the national popular vote differential were to be less than one percent (it has happened six times, and twice it has been less than 0.2 percent), the result would be that every vote, in every precinct in the USA, would be challenged and litigated. It would make Bush v. Gore look like a parking ticket case.

1 Like

I certainly don’t agree with that. Can’t speak for elsewhere, but in the U.S. we enjoy an unprecedented amount of personal security at the moment, but I would argue very little if any of that has to do with the bad laws and the worst of government abuses that have happened in the last 20 years or so.

I certainly hope we aren’t presuming that the purpose of the state is to be perfectly safe? Whether it’s the state that’s perfectly safe or the people within, sounds like dystopian science fiction.

1 Like

Especially in this particular context, sorry is a condition. Not an excuse. I guess you’re just full of the wonder today!

1 Like

Ohh, look! There’s some free horseshit!

6 Likes