A madman has been given the keys to the surveillance state

“Controlling the police force” is a dangerous power. “Access to everyone’s tax records” is a dangerous power. Etc.

3 Likes

I’m not. We need a complete overhaul. If we keep the Electoral College it needs to change into something else, like Single Transferable Vote only for the EC, not a general election. First Past the Post needs to be abolished, as it dooms us to only two choices for every always.

A purely popular vote may not be the answer, but the current representative vote isn’t working right either. The current failure rate is 7%.

Here are my go to primers.

Update:

6 Likes

The alternative vote (AKA Ranked voting or Preferential voting).” -CGP Grey

7 Likes
7 Likes

Holyshit, how didn’t I know about that and why is it in the wrong Portland?

3 Likes

It’s called the Electoral College. And then the House has to approve their decision. Unless there’s a massive rebellion in the party, I don’t see this turning out any other way.

3 Likes

To be fair the keys would have been in equally as scary hands under “bring em to heel & execute all the whistle blowers” Hillary

Not really. Still really, intensely worrisome, but she has self-control and doesn’t have a history of petulantly settling childish grudges with the biggest hammer at hand. People with good intentions and integrity would die under either of them, but under Hillary, they would have died for trying to speak truth about corruption. Under Trump, people will die because of a fit of pique and a perceived lack of respect.

9 Likes

Don’t worry, Glenn Greenwald will be here to tell us how to counter Trump’s megalomania when he’s done fixating on Hillary. Years down the line.

2 Likes

Greenwald, along with many others, did tell you how to deal with Trump: nominate Bernie. Ain’t his fault if y’all didn’t listen.

3 Likes

“Help us Scotland, you’re our only hope!”?

1 Like

So we can nominate Bernie now? Because Dems voted Hillary in some time ago and I’m sorry to tell you that she didn’t make it, so his silence is all the more pathetic.

But hey, “civil libertarians” always seem to have their soft spots.

I think a number of states have laws against Faithless Electors now, and I think that would probably be worse in the end than Trump winning.

1 Like

Silence? That interview I linked was from yesterday.

But, no, as far as I know, Glen Greenwald has not issued a public statement in the last few days which resolves all of America’s problems. Which is unsurprising, as he’s a journalist, not a messiah.

1 Like

I’m so glad he’s resolved all of Hillary’s problems with the Surveillance State then!

Huh. I have a lot of notes on decentralized messaging, encryption, key management and signing authorities aka “How I would redo Usenet from the ground up” (and I’m sure lots of other people do too.) I never took it any further because there wasn’t a pressing need, and I didn’t want any “bad guys” to wield it.

But if we’re now the “bad guys”?

Well, that’s different!

1 Like

Well played, sir! (or ma’am)!

I tip my hat to your devastatingly cogent reply.

“Weaponize the federal government”? What exactly does that mean? In what way has Obama done that?

9 Likes

Welcome to the BBS. Hope you stay a while and comment on a variety of topics.

2 Likes