A message to the kids from America's gerontocracy: DON'T VOTE

You know they are right, no politician who wants to get reelected will do any harm to SS or Medicare. I’m retired and I would love to go to Washington and see the sites, and about a million other retirees wouldn’t mind coming with me. So yea vote, or else.

1 Like

Relevant:

12 Likes

You got it backward bruh.

You can make a point while doing it poorly.

How’s that?

6 Likes

Good Video! So does anyone under 40 read this blog?

2 Likes

The actors look older than Boomers, more Silent Generation types in their late 70s and 80s. But I do understand why Boomers might take offense, what with the selfish and large subset of that influential cohort who started sacrificing their childrens’ and grandchildrens’ futures the moment they abandoned the ideals of their youth (“remember the 60s, man?”) and voted for Reagan in 1980.

I’m not sure, but I’ve already sent this to some politically aware young people I know.

9 Likes

Yes. I do.

5 Likes

I think millenials have overtaken boomers in sheer numbers, depending on how you measure. However, something like 70% of eligible voters over 65 actually showed up to vote.

The problem with framing the issue about old v. young is that there is no evidence that it is a narrative that persuades more of the young’uns on the left to vote.

2 Likes

Asa 68-year-old I find the stereotyping in this video offensive.

1 Like

“I can’t keep track of which lives matter” got a chuckle out of me.

1 Like

There are dozens of us… DOZENS!

2 Likes

I’m 38…?

1 Like

Is it possible that older people just had more time on their hands?

3 Likes

This. I remember working(volunteer) the polls one time for a school board election, I believe the ratio was about one “mom” age woman would come in to vote for every 20 seniors. Didn’t see a single “dad” age dude until after 5pm, and the polls were closing around 6pm. This was a very working class district, in a relatively racially diverse area, but don’t recall any voters other than white, at that.

1 Like

This is almost word for word statements my dad has made over the years. facepalm

2 Likes

"Everything’s fine the way it is. Trump…that was us. He’s our guy. Tax cuts for the rich? Hell yeah, I’m rich as fuck. Climate change? That’s a “you problem”…I’ll be dead soon. Sure, school shootings are sad, but I haven’t been in a school for 50 years."

To be added:

Abortion? No way. How could that benefit any of us? We're all male or past child-bearing age. Birth control covered by healthplans? See above. Plus, what's wrong with just saying No (if you're unfortunately female)?

And:

"Oh, and so sorry about making it significantly more difficult for your demographic to register. But, you know, the easier we make it to register, the easier it would be to vote. And nothing good ever came from something easily gained. Trust us."

2 Likes

Older people probably prioritize their time differently than people in their 20s. For example, on election day they spend some of their time voting.

1 Like

On the theme of gerontocracy:

And for an interesting contrast:

There is nothing wrong with older people being involved in politics. There is something severely wrong if only older people are involved in politics.

6 Likes

I think in part the issue is what defines “the gerontocracy”. I assume most people here mean the Boomers. Who went from Hippies to Yuppies. Except some of us (Gen-X) actually have older parents. The Silent/Korean War generation. A lot of those are the Old Left. As in they aren’t necessarily into the latest “woke” thing but they actually care about economic issues. We really want those people to vote.

4 Likes