A message to the kids from America's gerontocracy: DON'T VOTE

Too many people are framing this as an either/or choice, when it needs to be both. This is the election battle of 2018-20, not 1992, 1968, 1946, or 1918.

(I’m not accusing you of doing this, but I have seen too many these threads devolve into that kind of argument)

1 Like

I wonder how many people think that registering to vote will get them on jury duty lists, or somehow put them on the IRS’s radar. I know these were common beliefs (I don’t even know if they’re not true, actually; I consider jury duty to be part of living in a civilized country, just like paying taxes). But are they true?

Are you Russian?

And welcome to boingboing, welcome with open arms!

Is Boomerhate a trending hashtag? Or is that just some shtick pulled from a file of crap to say to an absorbent audience?

Are you a boomer? If you are then person up! The boomers have screwed the subsequent generations through over-comfort and delight at their own prosperity.

I have met too many young people who find voting baffling, confusing, and lonely. Other things are so much more fun and so much more readily understood. Also (for reasons I don’t quite understand) scheduling seems nigh impossible for young people I know. The idea of marking something in a calendar and then doing it, reliably, seems weirdly counterintuitive.

As a Boomer, I think there’s a lot of truth in the top post.

1 Like

Not in every state. In Michigan, if you have a driver’s license, and over 18, you are a potential juror. It doesn’t matter if you’re registered to vote or not, so register to vote, already.

If you haven’t filed a tax return, but your employer filed their forms…sigh…you are on the IRS’s radar. It’s failing to filing that gets their attention, not registering to vote.

2 Likes

While I’ve always been registered to vote, I’ve been called up to for duty twice (and didn’t have to serve either time) in the 16 years that I’ve lived here. The last time was at least 8 or 9 years ago. I’m not sure there’s any correlation with registering to vote. (I lived in Austin for 14 years and got summoned twice.)

ETA: I suspect that getting a traffic ticket is at least as likely to place one on the roster.

Having said that, I expect a jury summons any day now…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.