Disenfranchising the elderly: Republicans want fewer voters

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/10/disenfranchising-the-elderly-republicans-want-fewer-voters.html

9 Likes

See also overseas service people.

Republicans seem hell bent on screwing over their voter base. I guess they hope the promise of unbridled discrimination and corruption will be enough of a draw for them.

26 Likes

Wait a minute… I thought the main R voting block was elderly folks who watch Fox News? :thinking:

Or do they only want pale elderly folks voting? :roll_eyes:

31 Likes

What the hell is going on in these WI nursing homes?!? That is an alarming stat even in hospice care…

A bold stance in Wisconsin…

I hope this guy flames out majorly.

26 Likes

FTFY.

18 Likes

Maybe they should have paid more less attention to healthcare during the COVID epidemic?

11 Likes

The Republicans know about any granny farming that is happening (if any) because granny farmers are usually right wing.

26 Likes
  1. Christ, what assholes,
  2. I’d expect older folks to be more conservative by nature, and (based on my parents friends as a demographic sample) more likely to be duped by ALL CAPS FEAR MESSAGING even when they should know better. So, isn’t dissing the grey vote shooting themselves in the foot?
18 Likes

It’s not by nature, it because progressives are more likely to be poor/queer/POC and have a lower life expectancy.

Systemic abuse is not nature.

21 Likes

Stephen Colbert Fireworks GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

16 Likes

It’s a tell that he’s going to go after Medicare and social security.

22 Likes

Isn’t the tell for that currently “Republican”?

13 Likes

That’s the Republicans for you. Never met a bigotry that they didn’t like.

13 Likes

I mean, of course they aren’t consistent, but just 3 short months ago, their orange standard bearer was telling people to literally vote and then die.

7 Likes

Isn’t that the GOP base though? also wtaf.

3 Likes

I think there’s a factor that older people grew up in a more conservative social environment. Things have some a long way.

6 Likes

Time counts, and keeps on counting. Someone who was progressive in the 1960s (or pick your year) and then stopped adjusting, would seem dated and stodgy today.

4 Likes

This was Beau’s take on it. Our society generally trends in a leftward direction (momentary reactionary backslides notwithstanding) so what is mainstream in, say, 1950, is pretty far right in 2024. Elderly folk tend to become less flexible and adaptable as they age (something I am trying to stay very aware of) so society moves on, leaving them looking increasingly right-wing. Or so I have heard. Wouldn’t know anything about aging my own 25 year-old self!

13 Likes

The Evangelical Right are usually careful to avoid saying so out loud, but they’ve been for restricting voting access for decades.
Lately they’re getting bolder with believing they can pull enough of the populace along with their neo-fascist agenda.

6 Likes

As it becomes more obvious they can’t get support of the majority, the far right continues to push lies like:
(a) The U.S “is a republic, not a democracy;”
(b) democracy means “mob rule;” and
(c) dictatorships can be pretty cool, too!
Fox News Channel has been grooming their fans to accept this for years now.

6 Likes