A nerd’s 12 best and worst films from 2014

And that’s why I agree with his comments on it. YMMV.

Guardians of the Galaxy was definitely a funny book movie. I like it best of the Marvels so far; the others are well-done, but so self-important even in their self-mockery yadda yadda yadda.

For crisesakes-- this ends (post-credits teaser) with a Howard the Duck cameo!

Would that it followed the model and was a harbinger of films to come. I’d love to have a real, Gerber-esque Howard on the screen.

1 Like

Film ruined the incentives. All of the theatricals in your list suck, with a couple exceptions that might only sort of suck. None of them are gems.

Kinematic film is the reward at the end of a show. Used to be. You’d watch the performers, and then at the end, you get a film. So its a visceral treat.

The treat is good enough, that film is sufficient to earn $$: what happens next. Vaudeville: why? is no longer required. Since live performers add risk, it can be safely excreted and left in the alley next to Scott Joplin and such refuse.

5 Likes

Of all the comic book movies, I thought this film captured the fun of comics the most. Even though I’d never read GotG, it felt more like the comics I used to read. Which isn’t a bad thing. Solid fun story.

9 Likes

Sorry if I misjudged acceptable tone here. I didnt like any movies this year. I got eberts review book and opened it randomly to Cook Chef Lover Thief. Fantastic movie.

JJ embodies naked emotion, limbic system driver of the mind. I suppose that was 2 random. But on penny arcade webcomic I repeatedly see video game reviews: there was no there there but you should still buy the game.

How can you even begin to get hung up on food procuction? If it were a spaceship that would be a problem. This is a train on an endless loop, requiring no external maintenance. I think it’s a blunt force suppression of disbelief.

It’s so absurd it makes such detail wrangling sort of moot. And by so doing SAVES the movie.

Transcendence was a weirdly boring misfire The nannites were a CGI cliche. And wasn’t there a computer virus that attacked him because apparently the smartest being in the universe was unable to rewrite the Unix kernel? And what the hell was up with the gratuitous exposition from Morgan Freedman? I like the guy, but I really hate when the script doctors decide “Hey, let’s add 20 minutes of Morgan Freedman blathering for no reason at all.”

Exactly. Why isn’t there a mill and lathe for replacement parts? Why isn’t there a whole years worth of snow every where on the track? Etc etc. But that isn’t the point of the movie. It’s more existential.

3 Likes

(you should maybe put a spoiler tag on that plot detail)

1 Like

When we aren’t arguing about guns, I like you.

Platonically. You know, like a bro. A well-maintained and well-regulated man.

Uh. So. You got any full-auto conversion kits?

3 Likes

The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover ?

If so, yes. I <3 me some Peter Greenaway. Sometimes boring, sometimes annoying, but always something else. Plus, in The Pillow Book you get to see Obi Wan Kenobi’s wang [NB: got to add that to the list].

In contrast with your previous posts here (and your blog), your posts in this thread seem like English is your second language. Are you typing on a smartphone while wearing mittens and riding a unicycle?

4 Likes

Yes, the whole thing’s an allegory; but they included the the food-production-for-the-masses scene, the sushi scene, the greenhouse scene, the meat locker scene, and the dinner with Ed Harris scene.

There was a hell of a lot of screen time given to totally implausible food production that they could have just basically ignored other than the black jello, or lampshaded with a 10-second montage of them passing through series of cars producing plausible amounts of food for the forward passengers.

1 Like

Sorry - good point - altered post to be less spoily.

I have more than one hobby.

When did you get hired by the ATF?

Guardians of the Galaxy can. Marvel’s adaptation of the quirky space-travelling superhero comic is a clusterbudget of a movie, with a freak show of a cast, ranging from Chris Pratt (of Parks and Recreation) and pro wrestler Dave Bautista to Vin Diesel, John C. Reilly, and Benicio del Toro

Zoe Saldana was part of the “freak show” of a cast. C’mon, let’s not forget Zoe.

1 Like

Because {spoiler}

Do you suppose you could leave some details out for those who have yet to see the movie?

Do you just want to say you disliked it? You did that. Is it your intent to wreck something for others, just because your taste is different? that’s what you’re on the verge of.

I know! it failed!

test

See!

Pretty much agree with every word except for Guardians, which, though perhaps predictable, I found delightful from beginning to end.
And now I have to find and watch Under The Skin because I can not resist Scarlett no matter what garbage she is in.

3 Likes

I did like the movie. That aspect of it took me out of it and nearly killed it for me, though. The fact that the movie actually had something to say brought me back in. So I guess we mostly agree.

1 Like

Great Post you really captured the wierdness and wonderful filmwise 2014.
Maybe you did not gush over Intstellar enough!