wᴀɴɢ Gʟᴏʙᴀʟ

SPOILER!­

2 Likes

I’ve found my reaction to The Pillow Book weirdly schizo. Sometimes I watch it and find it wonderful, other times I watch it and think, “Eh, it’s ok.”

…yyyeeeee… er… go watch it? Erm.

I spent SO MUCH time and money hunting down Guesch Patti’s albums in the pre-Napster, pre-Amazon days thanks to that film:

(terrible video. Awesome song.)

Oh! Oh! I remember! A Room With A View. Actually watched it in a high school English class, permission slips and all.

“Oh, Mister Beebe!”

3 Likes

That’s a film based on Shakespeare’s “The Tempest”, right? One of my best friends told me to watch it over a decade ago, but I still haven’t gotten around to it.

2 Likes

There is a cooked (baked?) wang visible, but I do not believe it to be real.

It is fantastic. It combines text and live image in a fantastic way. Some of the visuals are very much a development from Greenaway’s previous work with the artist Tom Phillips. A TV Dante. more.

My favorite Greenaway film is still The Falls, but I haven’t seen Vertical Features Remake and others. [Good Lord, I think I’ve skipped half of his films. WTH is wrong with me ?!?!]

Back to the subjet: while Prospero’s Book features a lot of nudity, the principal, John Gielgud is not nude. :::sigh:::

4 Likes

The Falls desperately needs to be on Blu-Ray! Especially so the audio can be remastered, it really suffers on a 3 hour DVD.

1 Like

If one were to ask “Hey, Michael, what is your obsession with the words wang and dong?!?!”, neatly sidestepping any suggestion that I am obsessed with the things* the words represent, which is not the case, I would proffer a couple of answers:

1. Possibly for the same reasons my wife has to keep telling me to stop talking to the kids about poop.

2. A bit of a counterbalance to the obsession(s) with breasts and vaginas in our culture. It’s nice to have a change of pace. And, really, a great big wang in society’s face makes it a lot more nervous than a pair of breasts (certain Attorneys General notwithstanding). And who doesn’t love a great big wang in their face?!!

* “Everybody knows that things go better with with Coke!”

3 Likes

http://www.ubu.com/film/greenaway.html

1 Like

My wife has long since given up that fight as a lost cause. But as far as the words go, wang and dong have that onomatopoeic bell-like quality that kinda announces the referent’s presence like a comical slap upside the head. Much like one of my favorite Python jokes: “What’s brown and sounds like a bell? DUNG!!”

And wangs are funny and undignified and certainly need every last bit of mystery and majesty and power stripped from them. They are treated as totems of masculine power and terror in Western culture, and truly need to be mocked as the ridiculous bits of flesh that they actually are.

IMHO, the only thing goofier than a penis is a running pair of buttcheeks.

2 Likes

e.g. Velvet Goldmine (I’m pretty sure…it’s been a while)

Someone learned how to all-caps a subject, and they are so excited!

1 Like

In Velvet Goldmine, Ewan was scripted to only moon the crowd, but he apparently decided that the scene needed little Ewan as well.

1 Like

Everything is improved with little Ewan.

It appears he got hooked on showing little Ewan quite early in his career:

3 Likes

I have a book that goes into detail about all the books featured in the film. It’s a treasure of mine.

1 Like

To Live and Die in L.A. features a lot of Wang.

It’s well Chung.

2 Likes

http://wangwang.taobao.com/

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 772 days. New replies are no longer allowed.