A neuroscientist's take on synthetic telepathy, electrified ESP, and mind control

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/16/a-neuroscientists-take-on-sy.html

2 Likes

Neuroscientist: Now let’s see what’s on this fellow’s mind…

[flips switch]

Thought Translator: SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX

Neuroscientist: Heaven help me, for I have trodden upon God’s domain.

9 Likes

I’m sticking with the DIY option.

13 Likes

That didn’t work out well for me.

either time.

4 Likes

I think I’d still rather be able to be invisible.

3 Likes

Man 7

So who chooses invisibility and who chooses flight? In my experience, though there are lots of exceptions, men lean towards flying, women to invisibility. And many brood anxiously over their choice, switching from one to the other and back again. And that’s because, more than the ability, say, to burst into flame or shoot arrows with uncanny accuracy, flight and invisibility touch a nerve. Actually, they touch two different nerves, speak to very different primal desires and unconscious fears.

3 Likes

My personal (and professional) opinion is that the linked article is not only complete horseshit but truly dangerous misinformation. No those experiments do not read or control minds, and it is really irresponsible to tell people that neuroscientists can predict their behaviors and abilities. We can’t.

4 Likes

I get airsick really easily, so …

1 Like

Although if you could that’s exactly what you’d say… :thinking:

Next up, Uri Geller gets bent by a spoon.

3 Likes

When given a range of choices, most of the women I know choose super speed over invisibility or strength. That probably speaks to a primal desire to get stuff done and have more free time. :thinking:

2 Likes

The entire story is actually worth listening to … but if one’s day can be busy busy busy

1 Like

I’m noticing slower connection speeds - probably due to the school shutdowns and social distancing. Gotta find another range of hours to call “off-peak” to counter that.

Personally I would prefer this

but I can also understand super speed or invisibility

1 Like

That always makes me think of Multiplicity or The 6th Day. The idea that duplicates would be aware of (or want) the same relationships as the original troubles me. Having to manage or murder my duplicate(s) would be even more stressful/difficult. The idea that they’d have a baseline of my personality means they would know which behaviors could make me homicidal, as well as the ways I’d be most likely to try if it was necessary to take 'em out. :thinking:

2 Likes

giphy

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.