A nuanced conversation about the biases against natural hair

I have good tastes in friends.

:wink:

5 Likes
4 Likes

I remember growing up, even in the relatively progressive San Francisco Bay Area and much more when we moved to Mexico for a while, how much people would be asking or trying to touch my brotherā€™s hair*. It was a very strange thing to experience, even second-hand.

* I am white (latin@, technically), but my brother is black (and was adopted into the family).

4 Likes

This reminds me of the story of a friend of mine, who like me, had platinum blonde hair during his younger years (before 5 years old). His father had been stationed in Italy, and was repeatedly offered money to buy his blonde child. :anguished:

1 Like

From my white experience: White people do that to each other and black people to white, too. A black German African girl (technically an ((African-American)-German, I guess) from another class girl got all offended (ā€œI donā€™t rub off!ā€) when I flinched when she tussled my hair. Also, white women in general are kinda touchy, by far the biggest group of people who touch me unasked for, especially in winter, when I wear short sleeves.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.