#Grombre thoughts: Why many women are going grey

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/19/grombre-thoughts.html

The social media-driven #grombre movement celebrates the natural phenomenon of grey hair (and silver, salt-and-pepper, white, and so on).

15 Likes

Parent hood did me in. Of course now with classic male pattern baldness in full effect I feel lucky just to have hair. Who cares what color it is.

24 Likes

Female pattern baldness (androgenic alopecia) runs in my family. Iā€™m 35 and my hair is pretty thin in the front but completely brown. Maybe itā€™s a case of the grass is always greener, but Iā€™d take going grey young as long as it meant I had a fuller head of hair.

16 Likes

I canā€™t see myself trying to dye my grays.

For one thing, I have a lot of body hair so if I wanted to fool anyone Iā€™d basically have to fill the whole bathtub with ā€œJust for Men.ā€

18 Likes

Could make for an interesting ā€˜tanā€™.

8 Likes

Good on yaā€™ , Xeni. Thatā€™s the sort of thing that if you do it (one way or the other) do it for you.

Iā€™ve known a few women over the years who let their scalps do as they would and without exception they were centered, confident women who didnā€™t even have to say that your opinion was all about you, not them.

10 Likes

So, whatā€™s the origin of the word ā€œgrombreā€?

I googled for it, but all I get is example of people letting their grey hair grow. No explanation of the origin of the word.

6 Likes

I am pretty sure itā€™s a portmanteau of ā€œgrayā€ and ā€œombreā€. Ombre is being used as a descriptor and also as a refrence to the haircolor trend from a few years back.

17 Likes

Ah, okay, thanks. Being a guy, I wasnā€™t familiar with the term ā€œombreā€ in regards to hair color.

3 Likes

Is it a bad ombre?

Next door to my office is a salon, and the sign on the wall says, ā€œItā€™s not grey hair; itā€™s platinum highlights.ā€

14 Likes

5 Likes

Yay! My wife is now 32 and has had a wicked Bride of Frankenstein streak since before we started dating. I know that this isnā€™t about what men find attractive in any way, but goddamn, itā€™s sexy.

16 Likes

Yeah one of my friends has early graying that runs in the family and it comes in the prettiest silver. She likes to dye her hair crazy colors so sometimes itā€™s a struggle not to accidentally cover all the lovely gray.

It is exceeding attractive on her. Her momā€™s hair is all soft white and crisp silver, itā€™s always looked good on her too.

10 Likes

My dad went full white in grad school, and was kind enough to pass on the genes to me. Luckily, Iā€™ve been salt and peppering only rather than shock white (though that would be kind of cool with my pigmentation). My sister got the Cruella DeVil white stripe.

The running joke is that Iā€™m going to dye it that totally unnatural blue that old ladies seem to use to try to go from white to grey, then vehemently deny that Iā€™ve done anything. (then switch it to pink or something the following week).

The things Iā€™d do if I didnā€™t have to occasionally report in to the office and look ā€œprofessionalā€ā€¦

12 Likes

I can see the appeal.

3 Likes

Iā€™d be scared to have it turn out like Dolt 45.

3 Likes

My hairdresser says that my natural white streaks are Arctic Blonde.

7 Likes

I had a friend from Nigeria who told me that her youthful looking grandmother got really impatient with how long it was taking for her hair to go grey. Culturally the older women are given more respect in her village (and probably the whole region, I guess) and she wanted it to be clear to everyone that she was old enough for that special treatment.

15 Likes

And some of us (me) are just kinda lazy.

Not saying Iā€™ll never decide on another color - but I was surprised how much I liked the gray coming in.

11 Likes

I came to this conclusion after a bad allergic reaction. Believe me, youā€™re better off avoiding dye altogether.

10 Likes