#Grombre thoughts: Why many women are going grey

Oh if I had enough hair length to bother I would do a bright purple in a heartbeat.

11 Likes

Also known as the fifty-first shade.

8 Likes

I had some gray in my mustache as soon as I was old enough to grow one, and my hair started showing signs of thinning out in my late thirties, but the gray didnā€™t really start to come in until I was over 50. Iā€™m not going to bother with dyeā€¦ just seems more trouble than itā€™s worth.

2 Likes

Cool! An act of liberation both from patriarchy and consumerism!

2 Likes

Iā€™ve got 5 white hairs in my left eyebrow. I refuse to pluck them because I feel like theyā€™re badges of honour for making it this far.

14 Likes

Iā€™ve always been a fan of salt & pepper hair, and people with naturally silver hair also look great :slight_smile: if people feel better about themselves dying it more power to them but I would be too lazy to care

6 Likes

True fact: the blue rinse used by (mostly) women with white hair is used to brighten the white (cf. bluing) so that it doesnā€™t look brassy/yellowed/dingy. It can range from unnoticeable (your hair looks so crisp and snowy!) to full-on lavender or blue.

13 Likes

I read that as badgers of honour.

Congratulations to you (and the many others) for letting your face be your face. Our world needs more character and less homogeneous bland.

8 Likes

grizzle1
ADJECTIVE
often in combination (of hair or fur) having dark and white hairs mixed.

Particularly whiskers.
@GRIZZLY

1 Like

I got my first gray hairs at 19 and colored my hair until I was 34, when I was pregnant. Let my natural color grow out, until one day, walking down the street with my then five year old, a stupid woman asked my son if he was having a nice walk with his granny. I foolishly and impulsively bought a box of hair color and dyed for another three or four years.

Now I have shoulder length white/gray hair and my biggest struggle is keeping my hair from turning yellow - special shampoos tend to dry out my hair so I can only use them sparingly, plus the water here is mega hard (we live in a rented apartment so I donā€™t know what kind of water softeners are an option for us). That being said, I love my natural hair color and wonā€™t add anything but temporary dyes from now on.

7 Likes

Now, I realise that guys have it easier, that grey is acceptable, but I still sometimes think that dyeing your hair is in the same league as a combover. Not all coloured hair, and I am aware that it is my own bias, but that is the equivalent I always think of.

Me, I am going for the Mirror Universe Captain Picard look. Or sometimes the Retired Captain Picard on his vineyard look, depending on if I am full beard or just the van dyke. Letting my pate be bare, but I will be damned if I get rid of my whiskers.

2 Likes

I wish my hair would go grey. Itā€™s dark brown and I want to dye it crazy colours but I would have to bleach it first.

4 Likes

Like a lot of Finns, Iā€™ve got a sort-of dirty mid-blond hair, but my beardā€™s darker. Now, thereā€™s not a trace of gray in my hair (my dad didnā€™t get his first gray hairs until he was well in his sixties), but my beard is graying rapidly, especially on the cheeks and the sides of my chin. Itā€™s gotten to the point where Iā€™m actually starting to consider dyeing itā€¦

2 Likes

Power to you sister!
And to the guys out there who color their graying hairā€¦it does not make you look younger. It just advertises your insecurity.

2 Likes

Itā€™s not a bathtub full of ā€œjust for men,ā€ itā€™s good genes.

3 Likes

ā€œOmbreā€ is ā€œshadowā€ in French (probably from ā€œumbraā€ in Latin), and ā€œombrĆ©ā€ (something like ā€œshadedā€) is used in art to describe a gradation of color/shade.

2 Likes

You can color your hair a shade of bright blue, green, or purple without bleach. That is what I am planning to do.

Right now I have a few grey hairs that I am not dying. I am an anime fan and am used to what used to be called crazy colors.

1 Like

Thatā€™s been my dilemma. I donā€™t have greys coming in, theyā€™re white - perfect for Manic Panic! Sadly, theyā€™re coming in slow, and clash with my natural red-brown color. So, Iā€™m experimenting with semi- and demi-permanent color until my roots are majority white. Then, Iā€™m stripping all the color out so I can do a rotating rainbow of very unnatural colors. I figure this will happen close to my scheduled retirement time. Havenā€™t decided what Iā€™ll do after retirement, but it wonā€™t be anything stodgy.

11 Likes

Iā€™ve got a salt and pepper beard (or, well, whatever the brown equivalent of pepper would be). The gray and white donā€™t show up so much on top of my head, though whenever I get a haircut itā€™s quite apparent in the piles on the floor. Iā€™ve never had any interest in coloring it.

My wife colors in a few different shades (one at a time, as strike her fancy), and has for many yearsā€“itā€™s more about the overall effect than covering any gray.

The note about men being supportive and women being uncomfortable is an interesting one, and I certainly have no problem with grayā€“the trend a little while back of younger women actively coloring their hair gray was one I found quite striking, and Iā€™ve always liked the look of natural gray and white.

1 Like

Depends on the hair. Not everyone has northern European genes, you know.

8 Likes