#Grombre thoughts: Why many women are going grey

If you are determined, I recommend chalk as an alternative:

7 Likes

I may try thatā€¦

2 Likes

Just be prepared to cover or clean anything that might stain when applying it. Itā€™s not permanent, and might rub off on fabric even when dry.

5 Likes

Hmm reading that over it may not work, doubly so if right after a #3 buzz cut. Not much hair to work with and a lot of scalp to color.

2 Likes

Maybe wait for it to grow a bit, and only dampen/apply to the tips of the hair.

3 Likes

My wife went grey at 13 and had been coloring her hair ever since. I explained that now, as she approaches the half-century marker, showing her grey would be appropriate. She recoiled at the notion, claiming if she went grey now, it would be admitting to living a lie her whole life. Maybe when 100 rolls aroundā€¦

Whatā€™s appropriate got to do with it? Maybe she enjoys coloring her hairā€¦ who cares if she looks ā€œappropriateā€ for her age?

10 Likes

I started going grey at 18, and was fully grey by 25. Freaked out at first, because I thought it made me look old. I tried dyeing it a couple times, but it ended up not being worth the trouble. Luckily, being a dude, my grey hair wasnā€™t a negative thing, it was ā€œdistinguishedā€. I got flattering terms like ā€œsilver foxā€ instead of people asking why I didnā€™t color my hair. Iā€™m glad women are bucking this stupid societal taboo around their hair not being the color it was in their teens. Iā€™ve never found grey hair on anyone to be particularly unattractive or ugly. But I am admittedly biased.

5 Likes

7 Likes

GROwMyBeautifulRootsEarnestly

7 Likes

over 50, never gonna happen

you have to already be beautiful to pull off grey looking good and even then it only works if all your hair is grey/white, not just some strands

I have a quarter-sized chunk of hair that grows out without color, just that part has been white all my life, wonder how many other people have that defect

She doesnā€™t. Itā€™s a chore and a constant pre-occupation for her NOT to show grey. Sheā€™s at the point of coloring all of her hair every 3 weeks, not just touching up the roots.

1 Like

Sugar-and-cinnamon?

3 Likes

Iā€™m apparently entirely oblivious. Iā€™m really surprised by the number of comments on this ā€œissueā€. I grew up in a family full of white/grey haired people. I went grey really young and never even thought about it. Iā€™m basically stark white now, and still donā€™t care a lick. So what?!

1 Like

Wow, no. I was never what one would call pretty and was never complimented on my mousy brown hair. But now that itā€™s white - occasionally with a blue or magenta tint - I get compliments from strangers quite a lot! (over 50, too)

@AbelardLindsay. From what Iā€™ve read, that hair color is from a bottle; sheā€™s naturally brunette still. Nice pic of what gray can look like, though. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Oddly enough two exes of mine both had mothers that went white very young and the color looked great on both of them :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Pretty sure Mindysan33ā€™s point is that there isnā€™t any ā€œappropriateā€ age to stop coloring. You should color, or not, according to what you want, not according to what anyone else deems is ā€œappropriateā€.

10 Likes

People sometimes say, ā€œYou have beautiful white hair just like your mother,ā€ and I get in trouble for saying ā€œThanks, but thatā€™s not her hair.ā€ :smiling_imp:

6 Likes

I still donā€™t understand what that has to do with ā€œappropriateā€?

As @spetrovits notesā€¦

5 Likes

Ugh, maybe I should have said ā€œage appropriate.ā€ Since sheā€™s been coloring her hair pretty much her whole life to hide the fact that she has gone prematurely grey at a young age, if she was to show some natural color at this point noone would look twice. Whatever she wants to do is fine by me, I have no opinion either way, other than her constant complaining about it. If she wants her hair raven black for the rest of her life, fantastic.

1 Like