A once-respected academic games conference has turned into such a dumpster fire that Steve Bannon is keynoting it now

I have a hunch that this way of thinking still lurks under the surface in certain layer of Japanese society. Morbidly curious can also delve into nuances of racial hierarchy within caucasoid peoples of Eurasia in original Nazi ideology. You can encounter some pretty fucked up twists of logic there.

1 Like

If this game conference has devolved to making shitty “free with in-game purchases” craptastic games, then it seems like a good fit.

2 Likes

And yet, they are not the primary folks in power. No matter what stupid shit Ye spouts from the sunken place, even as someone who is both rich and famous, he’s not in charge of the mechanisms of power that can put children in cage for being born too brown and on the wrong side of a line. He and people who look like him are not primarily responsible for the school to prison pipeline. In the grand scheme of things, he’s not even a particularly powerful figure in his own industry, but rather is a product SOLD by his industry. Kanye didn’t build the system that he, and I, and you, exist within. Trump, although he didn’t build it, benefited from it, participated in it’s maintenance far more substantially. White men (who had money, land, slaves, status) built the system that we live our lives in, primarily for their benefit, in such a way to keep them in power over a long period of time.

Racism is a system that seeks to build a social hierarchy. That social hierarchy is still largely in place.

7 Likes

Yup, you sure do have a pretty nasty case of apartheid going on there in the US. But fascism is a surprisingly successful export.

1 Like

A good article, but it overlooks the fact that the rot set in much earlier when members of the then Steering Committee questioned Adrian Cheok’s decision to colocate with the Love and Sex With Robots event due to it being co-organised by Dr David Levy. Levy is at the center of a scandal in the UK over the misappropriation of over $650,000 of funds raised through Indiegogo for the production of a handheld version of Sir Clive Sinclair’s ZX Spectrum, much beloved by kids from the 1980s. The device was branded as the ZX Vega+ and over 4,700 backers still remain empty-handed, much to the embarrassment of Indiegogo, Rupert Murdoch’s Sky UK and the Sinclair family. Levy has also been criticized for proposing that every paedophile be supplied with a child-sex-robot. Cheok’s immediate response to being pulled up was to suggest that the German academics raising concerns had strong Nazi leanings. Understandably, this then lead to the Steering Committee resigning en-masse. Without them, Cheok has become a loose cannon breaking the basic rules of academia and making decisions that suggest a person who is in dire need of professional care.

2 Likes

This cementing the link association gamers and incels.

2 Likes

Well also there is the fact Kanye is an attention whore and Trump loves whores. (See also Stormy Daniels and the “Yuri Nation twins” featured in Putin’s blackmail video)

bjork-blinks

FTFY   

4 Likes

I’m not really seeing a direct relation between narcissists who love attention (Kanye) and sex workers (Daniels) other than your use of the misogynistic pejorative term “whore”. I think it’s a slut-shaming term we should avoid, even when referring to people who like attention.

4 Likes

I am not shaming the sex workers. They are honest about what they do.

I am, shaming the narcissists who love attention.

1 Like

By using the pejorative misogynistic term for sex workers, “whores”, as a term to shame Kanye, I’d say, yes, you are shaming sex workers. Not necessarily intentionally, but it’s easy to get inured to the attacks on women built into many common terms. I singled your post out because I’ve been trying to think of an alternate term for “attention whore” that isn’t also an implied slut-shaming slam on women and I can’t say as I’ve come up with anything. None the less, I think “whore” as a pejorative suffix is a construction we need to stop using.

1 Like

What the heck kind of gamers are they trying to bring in?

Then he quietly merged the conference with the Congress on Love and Sex With Robots

Ohhhhhhhhhhh ok

1 Like

It wouldn’t be a neo con vs far right event without voting problems.

It was also the Munk Debates’ first time collecting votes electronically, having used paper ballots in the past, Griffiths added. They will conduct an internal report into how the error was made and how a mistake like this could be prevented.

Use block chains? :sunglasses:

2 Likes

image That’s whyyyyy wi-fiiiiiii is foooooorrrrr!

2 Likes

17 show-ups. There were more people at a small scale figure fair I had attended in Costa Mesa. Look below…and think about that.

3 Likes

Unfortunately the gaming scene in general has had a misogyny problem for generations before the Gamergate nonsense. That goes for developers as well as players. It’s not pleasant to contemplate but it’s an issue that needs to be confronted.

3 Likes

Indeed it is. And not just video gaming. I have met plenty of guys in tabletop land (thank Bob I got hooked by some older happily married sane men that called that shit out) that have made me roll my eyes hard.

1 Like

Don’t forget marketing. A friend of a friend wrote a game in the 80s which was liked by one company, but they were told that the hero of the game can’t be a woman because that won’t sell. They went away and rewrote everything (including sprites) to make it as gender neutral as they could, but that wasn’t enough for the marketing team who decided to make the hero male in all the advertising.

2 Likes

On the flipside, you can put a chick on the front of the game packaging but only if she’s showing a lot of skin. Even in the add-on pack set in a frozen continent where she logically ought to be bundled in thick furs to avoid a swift death from hypothermia.

Confession: I was the graphic designer who did the layout for this game package but I didn’t have any say in the key art.

3 Likes