A perfect nine-dart finish

Originally published at: A perfect nine-dart finish | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Oblig:

10 Likes
7 Likes

I always viewed televised darts and snooker as a bit naff growing up, but looking back on it, that was cracking good telly.

I think the thing that leapt out to me most in that clip was Jack McKenna’s response; he was almost as happy as Paul Lim to have been on stage at such a monumental moment. An excellent display of sportsmanship and camaraderie.

10 Likes
7 Likes

There are some people in that video not giving a standing ovation. What would it fucking take, people???

4 Likes

I suspect a lot of them were sloshed :smiley:
One of the more amusing things about televised darts those days was that it was very much portrayed as a “Pub” sport, to the extent that consumption of beer and cigs was positively encouraged amongst the audience.

7 Likes

I remember seeing darts for the first time on tv. It messed with my brain to realize the triple 20 was the best score to shoot for, not the bullseye.

3 Likes

you hit two bullseyes!

come on love, outer bulls

3 Likes

As an American who traveled regularly to the UK for a while, I was a bit taken aback when I first saw darts and snooker televised in primetime. But I quickly started to really enjoy watching. It might not have the large scale spectacle of football or fútbol, but there was something special in the skill and speed of the players. They also looked like were having a lot of fun.

2 Likes

They were also often fairly sloshed. Andy Fordham famously used to drink 24 bottles of lager before a match and Jocky Wilson would sink several pints before moving onto 50/50 Coke/vodka.

It might be apocryphal but I heard a story about Fordham having to get up at the crack of dawn to be able to drink enough before a match.

6 Likes

Can’t drink all day long unless you start first thing in the morning!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.