A pull-out bed made of accordioning paper

ooh - thank you! I hadn’t come across that site before.

2 Likes

As a fairly severe dust allergy sufferer and someone who has literally been driven out of an apartment by indefatigable bed bugs, this is the most important comment.

5 Likes

Oh that’s too easy.

Aren’t all beds in the key of Z?

6 Likes

… and cockroaches. Cockroaches love cardboard. Nothing I’d love to sleep on more than substrate for molds and cockroach nests.

1 Like

They do say it is fully recyclable. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

An interesting concept, but it doesn’t seem to save a ton of space?
and the longevity of cardboard is a concern (maybe it is triple ply or some higher crush weight stuff?)
I imagine the inner parts are all accordion cells to bear the weight.

I’ve been making things out of cardboard for ages. Armor for my kids (a full master chief outfit once for halloween), cosplay weapons, art, etc. Now Enkling the younger is starting a business to make nesting boxes (commonly called birdhouses, they don’t live in them btw! =`) entirely out of cardboard. We worked with a local bird and animal hospital on the designs (multiple layers of cardboard is remarkably strong). His goal is to make them completely compostable. We’ve been trying designs that don’t use glue as most glues are not biodegradable. Elmers white glue is made of petrochemicals! or soylent green

Here are two prototypes. He’s got solutions for Amazon boxes, random boxage and now Girl Scout Cookie shippers made into birdhouses (round design even stronger and easier to make)

3 Likes

The other day, I injured my eye, & in my panic to get to the first-aid kit I spilled a gallon of water over my (already secondhand) spring mattress. A friend helped get the mattress to the recycling center, & I acquired a (secondhand) high-density foam mattress that I thought would make a temp sub. Not only is the foam surprisingly comfortable & firm, its bouncelessness means I can get in & out of bed without disturbing the Cat.

2 Likes

amazing how many things are comfortable with the addition of a foam mattress.

1 Like

sex is the cause of so many problems.

1 Like

I am pretty sure I would literally fuck that thing to death.

There, I said it; somebody was gonna.

1 Like

Eh, gimme a futon instead. At least it can turn into a sofa.

Fully recyclable! Not that paper is actually being recycled so much these days, but at least in theory

2 Likes

Like floors? Why do we need beds anyway?
I had :

The supports fold flat.

How do they hold up to rain?

tl;dr so far so good!

They seem to hold up amazingly well. He works for a wildlife rescue hospital and took some prototypes down to get some feedback. They suggested making them much sturdier than the single or double layer sketches (mostly due to predators). We have a number of testing units out in the rain here in N CA. I am not sure how many inches of rain in the last week or so roughly 20" mb - a LOT of rain tbh. So far the test units are whole hale n hearty: not one has broken up yet despite heavy rains and considerable wind. The key is to use multiple layers of cardboard and allow the rain to roll off the roof and away from the nesting area. Birds don’t live in them, they just need someplace to nest and produce some eggs and offspring. So once the winter is over and the spring rains are tapering off. If you worry about too much rain you can just throw another piece of cardboard as a rain shield at the top of the hanging lines.

3 or 4 layers of cardboard are surprisingly strong. Note that this is corrugated cardboard, not single layer chipboard. Using double layer cardboard, folded over to make it 4 layers thick is a pretty robust roof. Need to take a pic of Enkling the Younger standing on the box prototype.

We are hoping to achieve vitality and get Amazon to adopt this as a box pattern, also working the Girl Scout cookie angle, our CSA box can transform into a bird house. Maybe UPS, the postal service… not interested in making millions of $: making millions of new nesting opportunities is more than enough. Next up: bug hotels to turn the tide on the insect apocalypse. We can do it! Yes we will!

1 Like

Mattresses are not just about being soft; it’s about distributing the weight so that no part of the body feels more pressure than others.

This is why mattresses need to be a foot or so thick, to keep the springs in their linear range, near fully extended. If the springs are mashed almost to the bottom, then the force they are applying is much higher, causing more pressure on that part of the body. Foam mattresses are similar except that the foam is the spring.

This is why beds that don’t have springs (or a foot or so of foam to act like springs) are less comfortable. Springs can keep roughly the same pressure all over the body, but stiff things (like cardboard) presumably can’t.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.