The worst bed also perhaps the best

Originally published at: The worst bed also perhaps the best | Boing Boing

7 Likes

That’s right, this bed’s for fuckin’.

18 Likes

With car sharing down due to the pandemic, Uber makes a strange pivot.

It’s 30% off in the BoingBoing Store!

20 Likes

Hey, this one I like, just lose the bordello-pink color, the models shown by agies look way better.
It reminds me of the combined furniture trend during the 70s: JoeColombo, Verner Panton… so why not invent something similar for naughty times? Or simply rampant laziness, who needs to get up anymore at that point.

5 Likes

What, you don’t want to be awoken by the rubbed-balloon sound of your partner’s now-dried skin debonding from the pleather?

19 Likes

Not gonna lie…I dig this. I’m a tacky sort though, so my opinion may not reflect a reasonable perspective.

13 Likes

More useful than the nest.

2 Likes

I don’t hate the concept to be honest. Though the extra bits on the side of the bed i think would annoy me because it would make getting in and out of the bed more convoluted than it needs to be. I think i would rather get extra furniture for the bedroom and arrange it is needed than have an all-in-one transformer bed

10 Likes

Well, I’m on board, let me check with the Dear Wife first…

7 Likes

Just think of what it involves to wrestle some clean sheets onto these monsters…

11 Likes

Unless it incorporates a toilet hole, you still need to get up occasionally.

Unless that’s what the comment about hosing it down was referring to? Ewwww.

12 Likes

I’m sure there’s a model with built in commode, sink, fridge, and hot plate somewhere.

7 Likes
2 Likes

I, for one, like bordello-pink, but I don’t want a multi-function bed. I use a bed for two main purposes, and an old fashioned one is fine for both.

Well, three, if you include sorting the laundry on top.

1 Like

There’s a certain class of product that proliferates in late-stage capitalism. The sort of product that isn’t solving a problem or filling a need, it just “looks neat” in product shots. As others have observed, these products always have fundamental real world flaws. In this case, difficult to egress, difficult to clean, hard to change sheets, enormous use of space, obsolete technology built in, etc.

I often wonder if anyone ever buys these classes of products or if they just exist in some nether region of design exercises gone bad.

7 Likes

Mmmmmmmm, poop-hatch bed. That’s a convenient convenience. I also think someone ought to have made a robot portapotty by now that comes when summoned. We could call it R2P2.

6 Likes

On a fundamental level the bed would take up a large amount of space, but as you say having everything built in creates more problems than it solves. I’d rather get nice additional furniture for the bedroom that can be moved around and used as needed than commit to this megalithic bed.

1 Like

Hopefully the beds are more thought out than the hasty photoshop jobs they did on those couples. Oof.

2 Likes

Bigger than I expected.

1 Like

But they aren’t USB-C (or D or E or F or G or whatever the next cool thing is), so they are vintage. It’s like how my building’s gym (back when using a shared gym was a thing) still had treadmills with iPod classic docks in 2019.

2 Likes