A quick trip through the ghastly, racist, sexist, eugenicist, authoritarian things that Boris Johnson has said in recent years

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/01/tottymeter.html

4 Likes

I suppose it’s too late to say “Christ, what an asshole.”

13 Likes

Not until he stops being an asshole, so you’re good for a while yet.

21 Likes

This is just Trump’s daily toilet-musing output

7 Likes

de Pfeffel’s Tory apologists always respond to these articles with “that was different – he was writing for a newspaper so he had to be outrageous.” As if the underlying opinions (which they avoid discussing) changed once he became a politician.

11 Likes

z800

15 Likes

The Spectator : [Children of single mothers are] ill-raised, ignorant, aggressive and illegitimate. [Their fathers are too] feeble to take control of [their] woman."

15 Likes

Funny how his dad says commoners can’t spell Pinocchio when his son is such a fucking liar.

14 Likes

I’m just going to copy/paste the list of direct quotes from Boris that I posted here when he was selected as Tory leader.

On Imperialism:

“The problem is not that we were once in charge, but that we are not in charge anymore.”
Consider Uganda, pearl of Africa, as an example of the British record. The British planted coffee and cotton and tobacco, and they were broadly right. If left to their own devices, the natives would rely on nothing but the instant carbohydrate gratification of the plantain.
“The best fate for Africa would be if the old colonial powers, or their citizens, scrambled once again in her direction; on the understanding that this time they will not be asked to feel guilty.”

On the UK’s relationship with the Commonwealth:

“It is said that the Queen has come to love the Commonwealth, partly because it supplies her with regular cheering crowds of flag-wearing picaninnies.”

On Tony Blair’s peacekeeping efforts in the DRC:

“They say he is shortly off to the Congo. No doubt the AK47s will fall silent, and the pangas will stop their hacking of human flesh, and their tribal warriors will all break out in watermelon smiles to see the big white chief touch down his big white British taxpayer-funded bird.”

On changes in leadership:

For 10 years we in the Tory party have become used to Papua New Guinea-style orgies of cannibalism and chief-killing, and so it is with a happy amazement that we watch as the madness engulfs the Labour Party."

On Barrack Obama:

(His actions were)“a symbol of the part-Kenyan president’s ancestral dislike of the British Empire"

On Libya:

“They’ve got a brilliant vision to turn Sirte, with the help of the municipality of Sirte, to turn it into the next Dubai. The only thing they’ve got to do is clear the dead bodies away and then we’ll be there.”

There is nothing I can say to condemn him more than his own words already do. He is an utter disgrace, a hideously venal streak of aristocratic nastiness that exemplifies all that is wrong with the British elite class.

27 Likes

I’m only going to quibble that we don’t actually have one of those, but there is a bunch of assholes that believe that that is what they are.
Otherwise, bang on.

21 Likes

His chief advisor, Dominic Cummings, described something called the “dead cat strategy.” When everyone is, completely legitimately, really pissed off at you about something you’ve done or are doing, you throw a dead cat on the table. Everyone will still be angry, but now they’re angry about the dead cat, and they aren’t talking about whatever else you were doing anymore.

I’m pretty much convinced that all of these incidents are examples of this, because as long as everyone is talking about all the inflammatory things he’s saying, nobody is talking about what he’s doing.

9 Likes

Everything I learned on this subject came from Peter O’Toole.

7 Likes

I’ve only seen this (musical) scene:

Does the rest of the film match up to that high standard?

6 Likes

I saw it when I was 15-16; but I think that was one of the more sedate scenes.

6 Likes

I just call him “the tragedy of the Commons”.

6 Likes

Politics, law, the upper reaches of the Civil Service and the military are all disproportionately dominated by people who went to a few private schools. Social mobility is lower in the UK than most of the rest of the civilised world, and we still have hereditary lawmakers and head of state. Power might not be so exclusively stratified as it was in 1900, but they’re hanging on there.

12 Likes

I’m doubly confounded - that Boris gets away with saying this shit fully in public, but also that the press ignore it in favor of imagining hints of, and obsessing over, anti-Semitism on the part of various Labour figures.

16 Likes

Do you know this despicable man wrote a novel ? And yes it’s really bad and really classist, and really racist.
Trash Future did 3 episodes about this trash fire.

6 Likes

He also has a Clarkson-wannabe book of car writing to his name, which has led to him being described as “the world’s worst car journalist”.

4 Likes

Somewhat patchy, IMHO, but lots of great bits.

4 Likes