Bruce Sterling on Boris Johnson's bizarre, cyberpunk dystopia address to the UN

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/26/bojo-omniveritas.html

3 Likes

Limbless, headless, chlorinated chickens.

11 Likes

There’s a joke about Boris’ hair in there somewhere.

6 Likes

de Pfeffel managed to speak for two-and-a-half minutes there without saying anything. He thinks he’s amusing and witty to an educated and erudite elite audience and simultaneously a populist champion of the common man against said elites, but anyone with the ability to think critically can see through all his BS.

I highly recommend “Distraction” to anyone who hasn’t read it, by the way. I gave it a re-read a few years ago and it still held up, despite the absence of funny haircuts on some of his grifter candidates.

13 Likes

How did this moron BoJo get to where he is? More privileged white boy failing upwards, that’s how…

7 Likes

With everything you see, hear or read about Boris Johnson, keep in mind that he is using the befuddled persona cynically. As beautifully laid out in this John Oliver video:

He even admits to as much halfway into the interview

16 Likes

Oh, some bonus victim-blaming by BoJo:

5 Likes

In British politics, being a member of the right old boy network is everything. Assmonkey Johnson got where he is because he owes and is owed by a lot of rich, influential people. Like Reagan, Bush, Cheney, and Trump in this country, and Rob Ford in Canada, he’s a useful distraction who keeps attention centered on him so his corporate puppet masters can quietly loot and rape the country in the shadows. That is the standard tactic of the ultrarich ultraright looter-capitalism class today: put a ridiculous assclown in office and use his idiotic public visibility to smokescreen their crimes.

14 Likes

computer-says-no-1

+1 for the Little Britain reference :grinning:
-1,000,000,000 for that FECKING hair :nauseated_face::face_vomiting:

1 Like

Bruce Sterling is nice and all but who this really calls for is Rod Serling

7 Likes

It also seems like a useful third way for the right. Seeing as the right can’t seem to decide between protectionism and free market capitalism. Distract your core audience with techno-phobia whilst your billionaire backers sort out the real business in the back office.

anigif_sub-buzz-22467-1501863599-3

1 Like

I think Serling, who was a combat infantryman in World War II, would be apalled and enraged to see how the Nazi ethos has gone so far in taking over this country.

5 Likes

BoJo gave a speech that was BoGus.

6 Likes

Absent any hint of natural intelligence there, he’s making a pretty good case for the artificial kind…

I’ve certainly heard Markov chain-based chat bots ramble more coherently after having been fed Shakespeare, Iraq War news stories and the Star Wars scripts…

5 Likes

All I can say is I hope Bruce stops inventing increasingly dystopian futures because its pretty clear I will have to try to live through them 20 years hence.

I would love to re-read Distraction but I must have given my copy away and amazon here in .au doesn’t sell it on the kindle.

2 Likes

There is always the analog version.

1 Like

Boris is being completely truthful. He’s describing a future post-Brexit England, with high-technology luxury for himself and his wealthy handlers, high-technology surveillance for everyone else, and stone-age tech and assorted ruin for the proles. This has been the goal all along.

5 Likes