A reminder: SchoolHouse Rock's 'Three Ring Government'

That was nice.
Only problem is that the current US goverment is not just LIKE a circus…

2 Likes

Yes, I can spot Yohe or Kimmelman fairly easily.

I know this guy isn’t the New Yorker artist because the NYer artist often drew his people with parentheses style jowl lines (one can rule out George Booth). I also assume it’s not the Bolero artist because of differences in shading technique among other things…

1 Like

Worse than that. This relies on boiling things down to simple basics which are then repeated for retention. Which means something that might take 2 hours to read out would take 10 (or more) in this kind of song form.

Although I think certain people could really stand to get a good refresher on how the branches of government work, I have a feeling that what they would take away from this is more along the lines of “The Government is a circus! With clowns! Sad!”

(possibly with wishful thinking of “But I’m the lion who’s going to get those clowns out…”)

And 3 is magic because… you need three wheels to… make a tricycle?

I remember Schoolhouse Rock with great fondness, but this one’s not doing it for me.

5 Likes

Trump’s “remove two regulations for every new regulation” Executive Order seems like it would effectively make congress completely pointless. Basically it would double or triple debate, because now besides voting on new laws, they have to vote on which old laws to get rid of, and at some point they’d be at an impasse where they can’t pass any new laws lest they rescind something everyone agrees is necessary (like they wouldn’t be able to ban some new addictive drug unless they also decriminalized murder). Which means we’d be paying them to do nothing.

3 Likes

The “remove two regulations for every new regulation” thing is a decades-old hobgoblin of libertarian / cranky conservative minds. The kind of thing that appeals to people who don’t . . . think much, or very hard.

6 Likes
3 Likes

Does Mike Huckabee know the basic function of the court system? Either the answer’s no, or the answer’s yes, but he’s trolling.

8 Likes

You can find downloadable sound files if you do a bit of googlin’. I have several of them in my playlist.

I was actually incorrect in my earlier post — they’re all available for purchase on iTunes.

The way Apple segregates its music these days, I didn’t realize it, because they’re not available for streaming, just individual purchase.

But you’re right. I was just listening to one of my favorites, Rufus Xavier Sarsaparilla.

4 Likes

The entire series of these should be run by every major network in prime time, one a night until the next election.

If George Soros is the diabolical money-spreader we’re told he is I bet he’d pony up for the airtime.

4 Likes

Re-watching some classic episodes, I’d be curious to see what someone from the UK thought of “No More Kings”. It’s a classic, but it’s kinda propaganda-y.

2 Likes

Like the others, the intent was to give kids little earworms to help them remember multiplication tables, historical facts, parts of the body, etc. The rest is just storytelling for fun. I definitely credit this and others for helping me through math classes.

Sure, but… 3 is magic because some things have three of something? Like I said, I was a fan, but I’m not feeling this one.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.