A reminder: SchoolHouse Rock's 'Three Ring Government'

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/02/05/a-reminder-schoolhouse-rock.html

8 Likes

But…But…How dare someone interfere with God Emperor Making America Hate Again

7 Likes

I’m wholly without the relevant talents to attempt it; but I have often wondered just how epic (and probably unlistenable) Schoolhouse Rock would be if it tried to tackle the rather harrowing complexity of government implementation at full detail, rather than grade school civics.

Even with fairly serious vocal talent; something like OSHA Implements a Standard would probably end up being a 2+ hour sonic assault.

And, if John Cage is available; his groundbreaking use of deliberate absence of sound would be great for compositions covering the more heavily classified areas of state action. Nearly incomprehensible post-redaction sentence fragments set against oppressively large chunks of silence might well strain the conventional definition of ‘music’; but it wouldn’t really be Schoolhouse Rock’s Disposition Matrix if it were soothing and easy on the ears, would it?

14 Likes

Alarmingly, the government’s motion is pretty much that, distilled into slightly nicer sounding legal language:

“The injunction immediately harms the public by thwarting enforcement of an Executive Order[caps in original] issued by the President, based on his national security judgement. As the President acted well within both statutory and constitutional authorization, the relief irreparably harms our system of government by contravening the Constitution’s separation of powers. The State, by comparison, has identified only speculative harms it would suffer from the temporary suspension of the entry of aliens affected by the Order, and that harm could be minimized by expediting appeal.”

So, yes, apparently being denied El Presidente’s ‘national security judgement’ is an immediate and direct harm to the public, crying out for a strong leader.

10 Likes

If I Won PowerBall (which I won’t because I don’t play and also the odds are cosmically small) I’d fund a new set of SchoolHouse Rock seasons. Pay to make them and the old seasons available via a free app.

Also, an animated series about civics and politics for teens. Sassy and defiant and intolerant of the jingoism and hateful bullshit.

P.S. If George Soros were really an omnipotent billionare behind every progressive movement . . . HEY! Fund this too!

14 Likes

I deeply wish that Schoolhouse Rock was available on iTunes, etc. The music might seem very dated to kids these days but I adore it.

13 Likes

Lolly Lolly Lolly.

13 Likes

problem identified - too many clowns

7 Likes

Sure the US government still has three rings:

Conway
Bannon
Trump

Or did I miss something?

/Canadian and I know it

10 Likes

Thank you. I was nearly completely out of adverbs.

6 Likes

Your comment is offensive to all Dominicans everywhere. Here we celebrate El Presidente!

4 Likes

Ringling Bros. shut down because the elephants kept trampling people and the clowns all left to join the administration.

11 Likes

Remember, 3 is a magic number

6 Likes
2 Likes

Okay, this has revived one of my “Goddammit, who was that artist?” annoyances. The artist was a commercial illustrator in the 1970s, I believe. Often, people he/she drew had the signature nose you see on the president, and if they wore suits, the flares on the slacks would almost encompass the sharp, pointy dress shoes. The stylistic representation of muscle over bone on limbs is also important.
I can’t say for sure, because there are are definite similarities to a particular New Yorker cartoonist I can’t name, as well as the animator of the Bolero segment of Allegro non Troppo.
I’m pretty sure Playboy/Penthouse may be a clue, but I’m stumped.

7 Likes

Schoolhouse rock’s animators was mostly Tom Yohe and Phil Kimmelman. I thought most of the art style of Allegro non Troppo was Bruno Bozzetto. This is gonna make me spend the day researching … dammit.

I have to give you a like just for knowing Allegro non Troppo existed.

6 Likes

I dunno. I mean, I watched this all the way through, not a single Elven King. :frowning2:
I don’t want to use the D-word here, but… not even any sky.

1 Like

That is on my list of dramatic readings I want to record and release as a podcast.

:grinning:

Half-remembered slogan that vaguely sounds like something you disagree with. Collection of other words, though, that might be something you’re probably on board with, but don’t want to get into too deeply because you haven’t actually got that much time to focus on this right now. Reference to a related pop culture element that makes you feel comfortable, at first, but then somewhat uneasy. Conclusion that’s a lot like what you thought you disagreed with when you started reading, but which seems more plausible now.