A robot boat just recreated the Pilgrims' journey across the Atlantic Ocean

Originally published at: A robot boat just recreated the Pilgrims' journey across the Atlantic Ocean | Boing Boing

3 Likes

I wonder if it’s carrying aerosol cans filled with deadly viruses, timed to go off shortly after landing.

7 Likes

AksHuaLLy the virus canisters should be timed to go off around two years before arrival.

My gods, COVID was spread by the robotic boat team!

6 Likes

6 Likes

Presumably, the AI on board this ship will soon trick us American humans into inviting it to dinner, then it will murder all of us and steal our homes and build a brand new empire on the ashes.

So, it’s called SeaNet?

8 Likes

Boats and ships are, in principle, a terrific use case for AI automation. A trip like this has been attempted many many times, but it basically boils down to “the one that got lucky enough to have fair weather the entire way is the one that made it”. We’re probably a long way from automation that can make storm sailing decisions the way an experienced captain can, or handle any sort of emergency. These AI ships are all notably small and unsinkable in design, so if they get into high seas, they can ride it out and then resume from wherever they landed. Still, it’s neat to think about this little guy trucking all the way across the ocean by itself.

4 Likes

Cool! I remember reading about the 2020 attempt.
And @euansmith - I propose we christen this type a vessel the “roboat.”

:wink:

6 Likes

This requires a re-reading:
I, Row-Boat

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.