A "safari-style" Porsche 997.2 in a wonderful shade of blue

Originally published at: A "safari-style" Porsche 997.2 in a wonderful shade of blue | Boing Boing

3 Likes

That wouldn’t last 5 minutes in the desert, nor the low lands mud, not a hill climber, it’s for looks only is the kindest thing I can say.

3 Likes

the older safari styles are quite brutally lovely, so I understand the impulse…

14 Likes

Those air-cooled models are beautiful.

5 Likes

There’s a long history of safari Porsche 911s. The Porsche 959 was the first AWD Porsche and was basically a hyper AWD version of the 911, and did quite well at rally racing.

4 Likes

indeed:

4 Likes

TIL. Had no idea “Safari Porsche” was even a thing as it seems on-its-face nonsensical, I assume these are for those long overland races like going from europe to somewhere in eastern asia?

1 Like

I’d like to just buy the paint job and let the current owner keep the rest of it. But yeah that color would be just right. A bit off subject but why are there so few interesting paint options available on modern cars? White is # 1, black and grey tied for second. The right color can really bring life into the looks of a car.

1 Like

gottabe. I learned of them today myself. But I’m imagining for Baja races.

they’re like the sexy young co-star to a grizzled old AMC Eagle in a buddy cop movie

7 Likes

Look for Tuthill Porsche Safari cars and the East Africa Rally. Or jump to this video for the testing of this years cars: Tuthill Porsche 911 Safari Rally Testing 2021 - YouTube

2 Likes

This type did very, very well in the '86 Paris-Dakar rally.

4 Likes

Singer/Tuthill also did a rally Porsche:

It spits fire, naturally:

4 Likes

They have to put a spare wheel on the roof because they don’t carry one anywhere inside.

1 Like

No link to the listing?

Here it is. Many more photos.

4 Likes

Great photos in the listing, they are really selling it. This comment seems to be an insightful affirmation:

LowendGarage This author’s likes: 1

@hexagone is 100% right, 2wd and proper rubber makes for all the fun. Our rally build is on a 996 C2, great in the dirt, snow and ice racing. In regard to a huge snowfall, your car’s clearance is dictating how much snow you get through, not the drive system. Mr. Jeff Zwart has waxed poetic on the days of the Pikes Peak Hill Climb when it was still dirt and his 911s were rear wheel. One of the factors that motivated us.”

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.