A simple “DNA Journey” forces people to confront their biases

Yup, with how cheap the tests are now, am going to take a few of them and see what I come up with. Should be interesting to see.

ETA: Does anyone know of a service where you get a copy of your genome to tinker with? Found one, but it’s 5k.

Very over-the-top acting. If someone doesn’t care (like me) I would just be like “Huh, kind of interesting, I guess”. If someone else cared, like some racist/nationalist I think they would just get quiet and storm out, or deny it. Not get all weepy and have some kind of transformation.

And if these tests did become compulsory or universal, it would just change the racists’ standards. Like, “join our X-power group, only if you are >75% X, and you must prove it with this DNA test”.

1 Like

That is NOT the right company to use! I wouldn’t trust their results at all.

The well known company Ancestry now offers DNA testing. That is one of the acceptable companies (although their ethnicities algorithm is the least accurate of the 3 choices). It’s not the same company as Ancestry By DNA, though, and your brother wouldn’t be the first tester who got confused by the (suspiciously) similar name.

1 Like

Yup, I suspected as much. I can rationalize our family history a bunch, but really my gut feeling says, “There’s no way we are 23% native american”. I mean, if that’s true, then I got the shit end of that genetic deal, because with how outdoorsy I am, some extra melanin in my skin would save me a lot of pain in the summer months, lol. OTOH, if true, totally fascinating. Where I live, all the native americans got relocated–I literally have met more on Xbox Live than I have the place where I spent my whole life.

1 Like

Full genome testing? Yeah, that’s still only for the few who can afford the price tag. We don’t know what most of the SNPs code for at this point, anyway.

Ancestry is probably the best choice for most people here. $99 most of the time, with many sale periods where it goes down to $69 or even $49. The ethnicity breakdown isn’t the best but you’ll get many times more matches and most of those will have family trees to work with. FamilyTreeDNA is also $99 for their equivalent test, Family FInder – the haplogroup tests are more expensive, and not necessary for most amateur genealogists-- and they sometimes have sales as well. 23andMe is no longer recommended: they raised the cost ridiculously and without warning, and for that they test fewer ancestry-related genes and thus their raw data isn’t compatible with the other third-party utilities such as GEDmatch. Even worse, their website is embarrassingly bad to the point of being non-functional, and it’s virtually impossible to communicate with matches to compare notes. Communicating is key, because otherwise ethnicity percentages can be confusing. When you realize that your common ancestor started out in one part of the world but moved elsewhere, that 5% of something you weren’t expecting starts to make sense.

2 Likes

“I’m more important than you”

Wow, I could sure burst that guy’s bubble.

2 Likes

Pretty sure this is staged for the commercial.But I’m sure I share dna of the actors and writers.

Mine showed up 5-7% Native American - presumably Mayan, as my grandfather’s family dates back to the 1500s on the Yucatan peninsula. Pretty darn cool if you ask me. I thought maybe that was low, but only 1/4 of me is from me – so that’d make him 20-28% which sounds about right to me.

1 Like

I have this problem too. Overall, I think it’s a good thing. Except my daughter thinks I’m a goober when I get weepy describing the ‘injustices of rubber’ or bawling at the end of Titanic the 10th time I’ve seen it.

2 Likes

Don’t watch Toy Story III or Up!

2 Likes

It’s interesting how people’s knowledge (or lack thereof) of their own ancestors can have such an impact (assuming the responses in this video are genuine). Both sides of my family has done a lot of genealogical research, and I can quickly look up every single one of my ancestors for at least 6-7 generations, and some lines that link back into European royalty go back very far - on line goes back to Charlemange and then back to ancient Rome.

Based on that, I could easily have DNA from just about anywhere in the ‘classical’ world: Europe to Central Asia to Africa. The only thing that would really surprise me would be if there were any DNA from the Far East, Native America, or Oceania. And if that were the case, that would be interesting and pretty cool, but nothing to be shocked about.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.