DNA test shows Elizabeth Warren has Native American ancestry

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/10/15/dna-test-shows-elizabeth-warre.html

7 Likes

Fake news!

3 Likes

So Trump was talking out of his ass and was subsequently proven wrong. So… Monday? No impact on his base at all of course.

24 Likes

But what if she’s Norwegian-Indian?

4 Likes

I don’t think you need a DNA test to identify racists.

14 Likes

“Show me the scientists, and stop telling me things that I don’t want to be true”, same as with climate change.

16 Likes

It is a curious statement from someone who could literally command the scientists to appear.

22 Likes

Anyone know where the actual released test is?

1 Like

I want to see the long form?

8 Likes

Probably every American has “Native American” DNA.

9 Likes

Wait a minute, why is this suddenly viable, when a recent story here didn’t give much to DNA testing for ancestry?

The results are vague, no specific generation. It also doesn’t indicate what People she descends from. And no specific match mentioned.

If this is so important, why doesn’t she do it the old way, make a family tree?

Now it’s jyst some vague family story, backed up by some vague DNA results. That’s not much different from all the people with “Cherokee grandmothers”.

I know my great, great, great grandmother was Syilx. I’ve seen the tree done by three different people. I’ve spent enough time looking to know it works to my grandfather. But it’s more than a family tree since I know something about every one of them. I’ve seen photos, some are quite public. My great great grandmother Henrietta is in the Canadian Museum of History, at least the website, representing Half-Breeds. There’s a photo of someone else there who might be a relative. I’ve seen photos of the government scrips that declare her and my great grandfather as Half-Breeds, a classification, not identifier like hair color. I know my family’s place in Red River sociefy, and in the “Rebellion”.

None of this is vague, though some is “shocking” since it’s been erased.

2 Likes

Not so much.

“With respect to European Americans, the percentages are much more different than African Americans or Latinos, with European American genomes being 98.6 percent European, 0.19 percent African and 0.18 percent Native American. In general, the numbers seem to agree with what one would expect given the history of American colonization by Europeans and their interactions with African and Native Americans.”

Sure - being related to a specific historic person is a bit of nonsense. But - I can say that my own rather peripatetic ancestry is backed up by both dna testing and genealogy. They match.

11 Likes

In the year of our Lord, two thousand and two less than one score, I want to see major media publications insert hyperlinks to relevant papers and documents. I understand why they didn’t include detailed citations in the print era, but <a> tags are pretty cheap these days.

Edit: Found it. Not linked in the Globe article, inexplicably: https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/politics/2018/10/15/read-results-warren-dna-test/mBPi8QxENhtHHTP2B1fFBO/story.html

3 Likes

The most trolliest part she pulled off with that test

20 Likes

Are you sure that’s what the museum called them??

Definition of half-breed

often offensive

: the offspring of parents of different races
especially : the offspring of an American Indian and a white person

14 Likes

tumblr_pegeo7QYkq1uyav8ao1_540

10 Likes

the google

6 Likes

When it was pointed out that ancestry tests were bunk I was thinking of Warren, and how an ancestry test might (might) shut up the Trumplidites, but ultimately it doesn’t matter. They harped on her supposed Native American heritage because they’re trying to say she benefited unfairly from it, when there’s no evidence she did (and it’s also part of the larger attack on affirmative action.)

I grew up with kids who had one or more American Indian ancestor, it’s not uncommon, particularly if you can trace your family back more than 200 years in the eastern US (or probably less in the west.) I even knew a blond-haired guy who lived on tribal lands and was considered part of the tribe, who considered himself Abenaki despite looking like Robert Plant.

Anyway, I’ve been seeing these signs around Boston, I don’t think this guy poses any real threat to her seat, but I wonder if he’ll have to take down his signs now.

3 Likes

No, actually, it’s the opposite: thanks to European diseases, most of the tribes who came in contact with Europeans in the first 200 years of illegal immigration to the Americas died off. It was mostly the “half-breeds” who had genetic protection and lived. Fast forward to current times, and most of the people legitimately born and raised on reservations have a lot less Native DNA than one would think…down to 0%.

11 Likes

This. They don’t give a shit about facts. They’ve got their racist narrative about her set up and running. Even if Trump and his Trumpkins did incorporate this new information into their racist narrative about Warren, they’d just claim that yes, “Pocahontas” does have Native American ancestry, but so freaking little! She’s basically still white, but scammer that she is, she went ahead and used that tiny little bit for affirmative action! etc.

As for that poster – insert projectile vomiting gif HERE

15 Likes