A single-board ZX Spectrum with the keyboard silk-screened in color right onto the circuit board

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/19/a-single-board-zx-spectrum-with-the-keyboard-silk-screened-in-color-right-onto-the-circuit-board.html

8 Likes

It’s an ESP32-S3 based PCB

man… esp32s have really come a long way fast from arduino’s wifi-ed-up younger sibling. just trying to edge-out raspberry-pi’s are they? well, competition is nearly always a grand thing; yet here’s to trying to ‘keep up’.

As always: thank you for the nerd-centric posts!

5 Likes

People have been doing impressive projects with the ESP32. I’ll have to get some to try them out.

4 Likes

That’s probably a better keyboard than the original one.

10 Likes

I have no use for it… yet I want one anyway!

4 Likes

I appreciate that it has the same crappy membrane keyboard as the original.

2 Likes

An AgonLight 2 is already pretty cheap but it obviously doesn’t have an old catalog of games. And they’re still working on Elite.

Cool beans.

1 Like

Cutie!

Untitled-5

8 Likes

Needs more switches. :smiley:

7 Likes

Hi there!

A very nice ZX Spectrum emulation project!

I’d like to take the opportunity to share that we’ve been working on an open source ZX Spectrum emulator for the ESP32 SoC, which faithfully replicate the functioning of this iconic 8-bit computer: ESPectrum.

ESPectrum is, right now, a very mature project and one of the most precise emulators out there, it even allows to output image to a real CRT TV with exact refresh rate.

Also it can be run on three inexpensive ready to go boards: Lilygo TTGO VGA32, Olimex ESP32-SBC-FabGL and Antonio Villena’s ESPectrum board (which can be mounted inside a real or repro case and allows to use a real ZX kbd).

Google it if you fancy it :wink: If you are a Speccy lover you will be not dissapointed.

Regards!

3 Likes

That’s a pretty low bar to clear. After 40 years, i STILL have a burning hatred of membrane keyboards from the Spectrum I owned back in the early 80’s

3 Likes

Could be worse. This dude is still waiting for his key presses to register. :crazy_face:

keyboard

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.