A somewhat random assortment of book excerpts

Grab the closest book to you, turn to page 56, post the 5th sentence. Don’t mention the title.

I am equidistant between two but will start with this one:

“The superb ascending runs to the high notes would sound brilliant rather than wistful.”

12 Likes

The smell of coal oil was like the odor of hot bread, of warm summer pavement.

12 Likes

He hangs in the sky between his father Uranus and his son Jupiter.

13 Likes

“The couch flipped upside down, glasses and plates strewn to the floor in little bits, a nice still life painting he was working on torn in half and hurled at the wall.”

13 Likes

“The highest prime number coalesced quietly in a corner and hid itself away for ever.”

12 Likes

My quarry should be down at the Cape and Cowl, the local superhero bar.

12 Likes

Throughout the eight turbulent years of his political life, he carried a copy of The Social Contract in his pocket

10 Likes

She turned, to face an odd blue light.

11 Likes

As it turned out, there was a problem with these plans.

9 Likes

The world is come upon me, I used to keep it a long way off, but now I have been run over and I am in the hands of the hospital staff.

10 Likes

Do you think you have any secrets from me?

9 Likes

“If there is anything disagreeable going on men are always sure to get out of it, and Charles is as bad as any of them.”

9 Likes

Some read Poetry.

9 Likes

“This involves regulating the total amount of steam admitted to the inlet stages of the turbine and the steam supplied to the turbine stages that follow the extraction point.”

9 Likes

Se sorprendió de verlo allí, en el reino de los elegidos, pero el doctor Olivella le recordó que era el hijo del Ministro de Higiene, que había venido a preparar una tesis de medicina forense.

6 Likes

The republicans now fear nothing from us, and will take no more than ordinary precautions; if we should now attack other places, and commence our proceedings with some success, they would make Saumur utterly impregnable; and what could we do with such a place as that opposed to us on the borders of our country, and on the very road to Paris.

10 Likes

Not without its downsides, obviously, though for most people these days loss of appetite is brillliant.

11 Likes

“Stay awhile!” a man’s high tenor said, and Båggi replied that he would and backed up from the door to pose no threat.

10 Likes

Far worse than the mud was the combination of altitude and soot that came to plague Wilson and virtually everyone else in camp.

8 Likes

Do you know of anyone tho might want to trade?

7 Likes