A staff writer at The Atlantic was addicted to Twitter. Here's why she quit

Reddit broke me of my Reddit habit. There’s so much toxicity and bad content on there that it often becomes a chore to find the worthwhile stuff. It started taking too much time, so I must kind of stopped. It’s so consuming because you have to wade through so much filth to find the stuff that actually makes you feel good you be there.

1 Like

It’s not just Twitter, a lot of people are just addicted to their smartphones. My old girlfriend would pick up her phone first thing in the morning and start ‘liking’ stuff on Facebook and Instagram. Sometimes she would lie in bed after sex clicking on her phone like a post-coital cigarette. And how many times have I been at parties or shows and people are texting someone “OMG, this party is so great” to someone three states away.

2 Likes

It depends hugely on the subreddits and what you’re looking for. I can imagine that non-toxic political discussion might be very hard to come by, for example. Whereas my reddit experience is limited to a bunch of reasonably well-moderated hobby subreddits, and I rarely if ever encounter any toxic shit.

2 Likes

My wife has had a better experience with the site due to her focus on crafts, baking, and a new health diagnosis that has a great support community there. Meanwhile, I’ve been into comics, videogames, and anime since the 80’s. That’s basically the unholy triumvirate.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.