A story of revenge: "How I beat an online course scammer"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/29/a-story-of-revenge-how-i-be.html

5 Likes

so he plotted his revenge.

giphy%20(4)

11 Likes

Jesus lord, what a narcissist.

“I’m smarter than everyone, I work out at a fancy gym.”

40 Likes

Is this one of those stories where you’re not supposed to know if you should route for the bad guy or the good guy? I mean, yeah, the bad guy seems like a real ass and is stealing peoples’ content but the “good” guy seems like a real piece of work.

39 Likes

Perfectly matched set. (I’ll see myself out.)

12 Likes

I’m fine with “publicizing the fact that this guy is a scammer” and “getting my money back.”

The turn to “I will destroy this guy and any chance he has for any future, ever again” is just gratuitous. No wonder his wife (and probably all of his friends) won’t play games with him.

17 Likes

The response doesn’t seem inappropriate at all. This isn’t some Jean Valjean character here. Crush Mr Shredder into rubble.

4 Likes

And he’s so humble to boot

10 Likes

Wow, what a repulsive pair of assholes.

20 Likes

I’m trying to tell myself that I’m just being a weird capitalization elitist and to let it slide, but PRESS YOUR GD SHIFT KEY WHEN YOU START A SENTENCE. ** flips table **

15 Likes

“… i’ve been criticized for charging this much but it’s worth it and besides, i don’t tolerate incompetent students.”

Well, that’s as far as I got before thinking, “Christ, what an total alphahole”. If this is the quality of his self-publicity, I’m glad I haven’t shelled out two grand for his marketing wisdom.

28 Likes

payment processor is Soy, decides in thief’s favor

Stopped reading, and seriously regretted my time. His wife should DTMFA, given that and a few other red flags in there.

25 Likes

He’s obviously smarter than his wife, yeah-- he married her but she only got to marry him. Scammers can all pound sand up their asses but I’m torn because the author seems insufferable.

15 Likes

So, this online course has a 30-day refund? I certainly agree that reselling the materials is not at all right, but I would expect that it’s quite common for people to sign up, download everything, and request a refund. “Incompetent students”, indeed.

8 Likes

Wow, alright, this dude is definitely a weird narcissistic turd.
Huh?

Cool, cool

You do you

16 Likes

i recreated screenshots inside Teachable with Jerry’s real name

Wait, did he just admit to fabricating evidence for his PayPal appeal?

13 Likes

I did not know what that was supposed to mean, but I really didn’t care that much. Now that you mentioned it I searched. Is it a reference of the alt-right “Soy Boy” insult? Gah. I hadn’t heard that one.

On one hand I understand how charging for a thing can weed out people are aren’t serious about taking it. On the other hand, equating people who have money to spend with people who are smart is… uh… not endearing?

14 Likes

I can attribute some of the author’s attitude to still being worked up about the whole affair. Anger definitely makes one more of an asshole.

But there’s definitely a high baseline here…

At the end of the article, a box to sign up to his newsletter “Invite me to your inbox.” Yeah… nope. For related topics and presented by someone way smarter AND nicer, I recommend anything by Patrick McKenzie (@patio11)

4 Likes

I am assuming, I admit, based on all his other “I am such an alpha” posturing that it’s a reference that way. It’s certainly meant as an insult. The context is definitely there.

ETA:

Yeah. Anybody paying $2100 for a course online not from an accredited institution probably falls under either “completely desperate” or “more money than brains”. Shredder isn’t the only scam-artist in this story.

14 Likes

Indeed, I understand that charging a premium for your knowledge can be a very effective business model. :wink:

10 Likes