A story of revenge: "How I beat an online course scammer"

I puzzled over that one for a while, before realizing* Vans was shoes and not two really cheap vans.

*Ok, googling.

7 Likes

Oh no, I got that it was the shoes. That’s when my eyes rolled so hard they gave me a migraine.

Good point, but I’ll still pass.

5 Likes

5 Likes

I would say that a $2100 online course is a con, just not blatant theft. I’m trying to imagine what kind of information is worth that much, and that there isn’t a much cheaper way to acquire it, which there apparently was, at least temporarily.

2 Likes

There are several more instances of “soy” on his twitter feed… so we can calibrate an upper limit on self-assessed intelligence.

9 Likes

Are you sure? You’ll be missing out on gems like

already at terms with the loss i sat in Busan, Korea at a buffet by the ocean. i thought: what if i try one more time?

It’s so bad I’m beginning to wonder if it could be a carefully written parody.

8 Likes

Hmmm. You tempt me. Are you secretly Satan?

3 Likes

i’m a marketer with an online course. it sells for $2,000 which means “no stupid people allowed.”

i’ve been criticized for charging this much but it’s worth it and besides, i don’t tolerate incompetent students.

And, that’s when I stopped reading.

5 Likes

I see that you, too, are a gentleperson of learning.

I still have my 20-year-old HARVARD extension school ID card, and I still know exactly how to position my thumb if I want to impress anyone with where I went to college classes.

9 Likes

First rule of smart club is don’t talk about smart club.

He does have the psychotic villain from late 80’s Bret Easton Ellis novel thing down.

I can imagine him reading these comments and feeling as if someone upstaged his business cards.

6 Likes

Somewhere out there, Howard’s charging people 20 bucks to read his version.
Jerry - 4
Kulp - 0.

3 Likes

Dickhead put up a scan of someone’s driver’s license, which opens them up to identity theft for life and far outweighs the consequences of the scammer’s actions. I’m glad some of the other victims were alerted to the scam, but the author can go screw himself.

5 Likes

Actually there is nothing illegal about posting personal info (eg drivers license) so long as you haven’t legally agreed not to. It is just a move that identifies you as a dick.

3 Likes

… so basically The Emperor’s New Clothes?

3 Likes

Knowing Vans are shoes, I am mainly confused about the part where they apparently cost $2k… They make skateboarding shoes. If you insist on buying a special edition from 5 years ago, you’ll still not pay more than $200. The current line goes for about $50 to $100 depending on the model.

5 Likes

Some of his other blog posts are also the best-written but smarmiest justification for prioritizing “work” over “life” I’ve ever read. I mean, this guy could get visits from the ghost of his workaholic mentor and, yanno, the other three, and he would probably take it as a challenge to find a way to work even harder.

His own special hell probably centers on getting locked into an anarchist collective with hundreds of people who simply cannot be bothered to make him the CEO…

7 Likes

Next time I’ll try to right the write word.

2 Likes
3 Likes

I’m sure he gets special customised hand-painted Vans for his collection, just as sure as I am that he wants everyone to know it. What a tool.

5 Likes

Uses the term ‘soy’ as a derogation.

Uh-oh.

3 Likes