A stunning visualization of how racist housing policies create urban heat islands

Again. Race is at the core of much of this.

2 Likes

Oh absolutely. There was a constant theme in my degree program that if the answer for why something happened in city development without an otherwise apparent cause, then there is a good chance that race was the motivating factor. But the system we’ve built lets it play out even in situations where the racial component isn’t as clear like the one @ClutchLinkey mentioned.

2 Likes

You can look on google maps for “parking” in and around your city but if you live in a city that makes property tax records public, you can drill down and see just how car storage is valued, the opportunity cost of letting a piece of land sit as an unimproved money siphon for some parking corporation vs a piece of developed productive land. It’s maddening how much valuable land that could house people or be used for revenue/taxable businesses is allowed to be used to car storage/theft of the commons.

2 Likes

Back on the topic of heat islands, I used to volunteer with this organization when I lived in DC:

They’re doing good work.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.