A tarot deck from the age of corona

Originally published at: A tarot deck from the age of corona | Boing Boing

3 Likes

No matte black Punisher skull pickups or AR15 armed militia?

Am disappoint.

6 Likes

A tarot deck from the age of corona

In the form of The_Quibbler (inverted): This is (just) the major arcana, yes? none of your… seven of cups? (“a typical tarot deck consists of 56 cards, divided into four suits of 14 cards each”) (“What? No plague doctor?? …I like the plague doctor”)

5 Likes

If I want to have my fortune told, I’ll ask a Qanon/KKKpuplican, they’er always spot on. /s

8 Likes

Sure, why not? They’re just as plugged into a fantasy world as people who put their faith in tarot cards, ouija boards or The Sky Daddy.

4 Likes

Tarot cards actually do work. There are various explanations for it, some of which are actually scientifically plausible, but they do help you understand your problem and formulate a solution to it.

2 Likes

They’re interpretive, and that’s the point of the kayfabe. A good reader should really only lead you into your own discoveries. I personally don’t believe there’s any power at work beyond the psychological, but have had forced, yet revealing readings.

At the very least, I adore the artwork and really love this set. I’m glad tarot exists for that reason, alone.

5 Likes

the idea is good; unfortunately the art of its drawings is below any likeable standard…

2 Likes

And yet none of them knew how to spell ‘hierophant’?

1 Like
3 Likes

OohBurn|nullxnull

(For eternity.)

1 Like

Huh, that’s no excuse. I was possessed by the devil and you didn’t see me getting a tarot reading. No way; I went straight into hedge funds.

4 Likes

Herophant!

6 Likes

Not very useful. When you play tarot, you can have up to 30 cards in hand at the same time, so a little intel in the corner is a must have.This deck is just for guys who want to scam people.

Can’t help but jump in here and self promote a bit, because while this is a cute idea and all, millions have died and millions more are confronting a truly unique pandemic of mass grief - so I’m proud to have been part of a project that did something similar but with a bit more purpose, putting artists to work and building a toolkit to support the the process of individual and communal grief at the scale we need: https://griefdeck.com

We were certainly inspired by the open-ended functionality of tarot, but also determined to bring in some of the real, working theory on grieving and processing of loss. Thanks for the little soapbox!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.